Railway lines to have fiber optic embedded to report unusual deformation or cracks

The Institute Of Railway Research (IRR) has undertaken a new ambitious project, called Capacity4Rail with two aims: 1. To make laying of railway lines quicker & easier 2. To make the railway lines intelligent. The project funded by EU will see the grants of about €15m being invested in development of these new type of railway tracks. The project will be headed by Prof. Simon Iwnicki of Huddersfield University and is expected to be completed in a time span of about 4 years.

railway-track-fiber-optics

The Capacity4Rail project would ensure that the new railway tracks are capable of meeting Europe's transportation needs in coming years. It will aim at development of low maintenance infrastructure and modular way of laying the railway tracks. IRR's Dr. Yann Bezin said that the research team is looking at better & more efficient designs of developing the tracks. The modular construction methods will allow quicker installation of pre-assembled tracks brought to the sight in sections.

The team also wants to make the railway tracks intelligent by running Fiber Optic lines along the railway tracks. The system would allow early detection of cracks or track deformations through the measurement of fiber optic signals. Metallurgist Prof. Jay Jaiswal, who earlier worked with Tata Steel will work on investigation of new materials for crossings and switches. Jaiswal has been recently appointed as the visiting professor at the Huddersfield University.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is quite interesting, and I have an idea. If we also have internet facilitated through these optics and have a router to supply internet to people travelling , it would be great 😀
  • tanmoya
    tanmoya
    When this project will be implemented in india?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    tanmoya
    When this project will be implemented in india?
    Looks like IRR is really serious about implementing this technology at the earliest

Is the GO for the execution of this project released by the central government? Is the media yet to grab a hold of this release?
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is quite interesting, and I have an idea. If we also have internet facilitated through these optics and have a router to supply internet to people travelling , it would be great 😀
    Indian Railways already has plans to roll out internet connectivity while on the move. It will be done using the RailTel network and is expected to provide 4G connectivity.
    Although a similar service has already been rolled out for the Rajdhani Express.
    Check out this #-Link-Snipped-#
    Let's wait and watch.
  • Sally Dong
    Sally Dong
    That is pioneering by running fiber optic lines along the railway tracks. It will eliminating the need for staff checking the track during the night. Chian railway should introduce this technology
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sally Dong
    That is pioneering by running fiber optic lines along the railway tracks. It will eliminating the need for staff checking the track during the night. Chian railway should introduce this technology
    The technology is still being trialled; but I think it does hold the potential to enhance the security. I'm not sure how the optic fiber signals are measured to make predictions about the security of the tracks. It'd be nice if someone on CE can throw some light on it 😀
  • Sally Dong
    Sally Dong
    It is a complex problem. But i think it is not a reverie
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Soon the fast internet facilities would be available to rural India through the RailTel network which is implementing their project in fast pace... its first phase of the project has already started in most of northern region

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, i'm looking for suggestions for doing M.S in computer science. What are all the things i need to do?
Anand Mahindra's got big plans for his company and his latest foray is into manufacturing of small aircrafts in India. Mahindra Aerospace will began manufacturing 8-seater small aircrafts in India...
Imagine yourself in a movie theater indulging in the latest blockbuster and someone sitting besides or below you takes out his/her smartphone and starts texting. The bright light of the...
Hello everybody I would like to know where are local arrays (I mean the arrays that are declared inside a function just to as intermediate variables) stored? in registers or...
After 3 big announcement by Valve - SteamOS - Steambox - Steam Controller Latter one looked bit of disappointing announcement at first, but it's not. Checkout this video : ​...