Rack and pinion calculation for pressing machine

I am designing a manual press tool, for installation of frets for stringed instruments.
What I need help is how long the lever should be?
While the requirements is pressure of 500 kg on the area on the end of the rack (4900 N/0.00204 m. sq.) and the input force is 20 kg

The part specifications that are fixed are the rack and pinion.

I am not sure where should I start? whether the gear sizes and teeth play a part in this calculation or not.

The pictures from this page shows the overview of the tool I'm going to make.
#-Link-Snipped-#

If anything is unclear or you need more information please inform me.

Thank you very much.
ninjadead

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mechanical Engineers! We've an unanswered question here!
  • saptm
    saptm
    Yes,the gear size and the no. of teeth really important in the manufacturing.Larger the gear size ,larger is the gear ratio, for avoiding interference use have to do some calculations.
    Min teeth required for pinion is

T=2*Ap/(sqrt(1+G(G+2)sin^2(angle))-1

where G=gear ratio
    Ap=Addendum of pinion
    angle=Pressure angle

and Min teeth required for rack is

T=Ar/sin^2(angle)

where Ar=addendum of rack and angle=pressure angle

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wall of Knowledge at the Stockholm Public Library, Sweden​ ​​​The Stockholm Public Library is one of Stockholm’s most notable buildings. The library was opened in 1928 and designed by Gunnar...
The Mumbai Pune Expressway or Yashwantrao Chavan Mumbai Pune Expressway​ ​ It is India's first six-lane concrete, high-speed, access controlled tolled expressway. It spans a distance of 93 km connecting...
I'm having some problem on a program i create. the purpose of this program is to identify what type of conic using discriminant. f B2 − 4AC < 0, the...
CEans, Over the past 6+ years, CrazyEngineers has built its reputation as a leading community of engineers. CrazyEngineers has been built by several engineers like you who've contributed amazing, original...
Hackers in China are selling flash drives with less memory than they advertise. The problem is that the hackers change a log file that makes the flash drive think it...