Quick News Or Deep News [VoiCE Feedback]

We've been experimenting with VoiCE and have began expanding our author team. There are two approaches -

1. Cover the new items in depth - include analysis, views, opinions, relevant complementary information etc.

- Puts restrictions on the number of updates we can cover.
- Attracts those who want in-depth knowledge.

2. Offer quick updates & opinion.

- Allows covering several updates.
- Attracts those who want to know what's happening around in variety of domains.
- We may link to sources where the news gets covered in depth [University, PR etc.]

As many of you asked us to refrain from posting the news that's already covered elsewhere (makes no sense anyway), we've shifted our focus to covering the news that isn't covered on most popular blogs. In the last 7 days, majority of our news items were 'among the firsts' and later picked up by popular publications.

We are trying to cover more core tech / engineering news and have minimised our focus on gadgets. So expect lot of interesting stuff on VoiCE in coming days as more authors join the team.

It'd be nice to have an opinion whether you'd like to read quick news or deep news?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    For me, it depends on how interesting it is. Still, a quick news, ehm, isn't satisfactory ๐Ÿ˜ will have to hunt for other sources to get to know more about it. If we do something, I think it must be done well. I prefer in depth updates.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks you for your feedback, #-Link-Snipped-#. We of course tend to cover all the relevant information. For example if we're covering a research, then we try to 'summarise' all the relevant details in our posts. An in-depth view is most of the times available on the source - which basically would mean we'd end up rewriting it, like most of the news publications do.

Someone had suggested that we offer a summary at the top and then follow it with an in-depth article about the news item below it.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    Yes I see the change in VoiCE. It interests me and I would always welcome quick updates. In depth analysis will be done by the reader if the topic interests them. Awaiting more interesting stuffs from the team. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Our team's goal is to offer the news in a unique way. We've figured out that we can make a difference if the news -

1. Is written to give a summary of what's happening.
    2. Is published it as fast as possible.
    3. Has an opinion, view in a line or two.
    4. Is fun, non-boring to read.
    5. Makes complex topic easy.
    6. Makes the reader come back for more.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I personally feel we can have a group of people who can collect the latest information and tell the editors about it so that they put in a better way. Because doing both (finding the news and writing on it) would take time. Which means by the time we post ours would not be latest. I don't know if I am conveying what I really mean here.
  • lal
    lal
    "In depth analysis will be done by the reader if it interests him." I agree with that. So, I reads a summary about something new in VoiCE and if it looks interesting I will go in search of an in depth analysis.

Lets think it the other way. People find a summary in some other popular websites, find that VoiCE has an in depth news about it and rushes to CrazyEngineers. Thus every search for interesting engineering and tech news lands here, as time goes by.

Summary on the top followed by an in depth article looks pretty to me.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    lal
    Summary on the top followed by an in depth article looks pretty to me.
    This sounds good. Or we can add another link for in depth analysis. That way we will know what interests readers more right? So that we can update more updates on that area.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that's essentially writing in-depth articles, right? It puts a check on how many articles we can cover every day and how fast we can cover them. So that's a tricky call to take.

We'll continue with our evaluation. Keep your feedback coming! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    The_Big_K
    Well, that's essentially writing in-depth articles, right? It puts a check on how many articles we can cover every day and how fast we can cover them. So that's a tricky call to take.
    Yes Biggie. But that would be easier if two people work on one article. So that we get to edit and add more information.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Utah in USA has the Arches National Park that has the world's largest concentration of naturally formed sand stone arches. These were carved by slow abrasive jet carving by nature...
i have recently installed windows 8. and i can't figure out why does not it show most of the youtube videos. the youtube videos turn blank and doesn't show anything...
When drawing graphs, I've always wanted to draw a straight line without using a ruler. It looks like someone's already solved the problem - I'm however not really convinced whether...
Hi CEans !! glad to meet u after a long time ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ here is my idea for a project .a device should hold an object by its clamps and at...
Being a blogger, I'm always searching for an app that gives me the hot and latest news quickly. But as with most of the news apps, the real pain lies...