Question regarding VPS hosting

Hello all, I have been managing and growing my site grasshoppernetwork.com for about two years now. Number of user base is reaching 10k and Threads are about to cross 1000 with about 3500 posts. We are Revenue wise it has shown good promise with a Payout from AdSense almost in every month.

Now like all the businesses it is time for the next step forward. With growing content and data, site is loading too slow for comfort. So I am planning to change the hosting to VPS hosting. Before I do that I would like to hear from experienced webmasters like #-Link-Snipped-# to elaborate a little on this.

My primary questions are:

1. What is nominal cost with VPS hosting?
2. What is the effect on overall traffic?
3. To what fold does the traffic gets improved with hosting upgrade and how often does that reflect earning?
4. Should I wait and watch for some more time or go for the up-gradation right away?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to know Grasshopper network is growing. There are few points I'd like to highlight -

A. VPS hosting isn't always an 'upgrade' from shared hosting. It depends on the web hosting provider and your own requirements.

B. You will have to do a study of your server requirements before deciding on the VPS you'd like to opt for. Be aware that VPS will put a limit on your resources and if you exceed them, your website will encounter issues.

Answering your questions -

1. There are several VPS providers in the market and the latest costs / offers can be found on the webhostingtalk forums.

2. Traffic and hosting are mostly independent. Google takes 'page load speed' as one of the ranking criteria. The faster your pages load, the better. However, overall page load speed is determined by several factors. I'd not expect any noticeable difference in traffic after changing host / upgrading to better RAM / Resources.

Your website's uptime would be one more important factor.

3. Answered above.

4. When you are upgrading / changing host - the most important thing to look for is their 'support'. I'd strongly advice on reading reviews about various hosting providers on WebHostingTalk before making a decision.
  • avii
    avii
    Is this the site you talking about : #-Link-Snipped-#

Then IMO you don't need a VPS as of now. VPS is difficult to manage & costly as compared to shared hosting. Update all the plugins & disable the one's you don't require. I have seen a MyBB forum with over than 10K posts/5k threads/200 online users at any time, doing fine on a shared hosting. Your stats are too low to be in need of VPS. If I am not wrong, you are using services by znetlive.in, better move to something reputed like HostGator.

PS : I see a lot of plagiarized/copy-paste content on your site. I wouldn't allow it if I were using Ad Sense.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    avii
    Is this the site you talking about : #-Link-Snipped-#

Then IMO you don't need a VPS as of now. VPS is difficult to manage & costly as compared to shared hosting. Update all the plugins & disable the one's you don't require. I have seen a MyBB forum with over than 10K posts/5k threads/200 online users at any time, doing fine on a shared hosting. Your stats are too low to be in need of VPS. If I am not wrong, you are using services by znetlive.in, better move to something reputed like HostGator.

PS : I see a lot of plagiarized/copy-paste content on your site. I wouldn't allow it if I were using Ad Sense.
    Hi, thanks a lot for reply. Now lets check out your points one by one.

I have seen a MyBB forum with over than 10K posts/5k threads/200 online users at any time, doing fine on a shared hosting
    Nature of site varies. Ours is attachment heavy site. Virtually every thread contains attachments, image thumbnails, video tutorials. So comparison can not be drawn with text-mainly sites.

Your stats are too low to be in need of VPS
    And how you got the STATS? Alexa? I have blocked Alexa bots a good time back. So even with 1L unique a days, you won't see it ranking. It is deliberate to avoid others to get an insight about our keyword ranks.

you are using services by znetlive.in, better move to something reputed like HostGator
    I will give it a consideration. Point noted.

PS : I see a lot of plagiarized/copy-paste content on your site. I wouldn't allow it if I were using Ad Sense
    You can not find plagarized content, because there are none. We run viper test every month to pin point such content and remove them. I do most of the posting, which are mainly codes developed by me or my associates. But you can find content that are present in other sites because there are some good friends who

finds it easy to just lift it. There are text referring to research papers, which can not be altered, so there is always a reference.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi frnds i m archana(anju).i want some information about paper presentation (cse dept) and that's why i created this account.i m doing my 2nd year cse in chennai.i m waiting...
Sir,practically i have seen bridge piers of different shapes -- SQUARE , OCTAGONAL , RECT. , CIRCULAR ETC. WHY IS THERE NOT A TRIANGULAR PIER ( I MEAN IT'S A...
like losses in turbulent flow are more than in laminar flow , so how are the losses in a critical flow..... are they minimum ? (i.e. lesser than laminar flow...
Can anybody please tell how to write functions for testing certain guidelines for models generated in Simulink??
I have a great desire to know the concept of gas filled shock absorber . The main thing that i have not understood is that how does nitrogen gas helps...