Question - Mass, Density and Volume

I need some info. A single atom of Carbon has a Mass, Density and Volume at room temperature. How do these change when that Atom is moved to a temperature of -253c. Example; If the Mass, Density and Volume were each arbitrarily given the value of 1 at room temperature - what {if any} would be the % of change when that Atom is moved to -253c?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A single atom does not have a density as defined for bulk matter.
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    What about Volume?
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    Does it have Volume and if so does that change?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This may help:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    Thank you.
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    A.V.Ramani
    This may help:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thank you. I didn't see a reference to temperature in the equations. Does that mean that an atom of Carbon has the exact same volume at -253c as it does at room temperature? The reason for asking is that if the volume is lower at -253c then more of them can be held in a smaller space. If they can be contained within that space and brought up to room temperature then the product would have a higher density. Thanks again, Lance
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The volumetric coefficient of thermal expansion for diamond is about 0.000003 which means that at -253degC it will contract to (1 - 0.000760) times the volume at 0 degC.
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    It sounds like the volume of a single Carbon atom at room temperature is the same whether it is in the form of a lump of coal or in a Diamond. and it is also the same at -253c.
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    The volume of a single carbon atom is the same whether it is in a Diamond or piece of coal?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Coal is a mix of various things, not just carbon.
    [​IMG]

This gives specific info on the various carbon allotropes:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Lance Michael Farrar
    Lance Michael Farrar
    Thank you for your input.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: The growing applications of the Internet of Things (IoT) will rely fundamentally on acquiring data from the world around us. Sensors will be used invariably, gathering information on temperature,...
can u give me a idea how to do an mini project in 3rd yr
Since yesterday did you observe any change in Google logo on your smartphone or while searching anything on Google? In past 17 years, google has changed its skin many a...
Sir, I am moiz ahmed and I am graduate from the SRTMU university and I am repairing the all the hardwear and softwear all the computers will be repaired easily...
how i can get good cgpa.