Question about my computer's IP address

i am a bit confused about ip address. In cmd my ip address is 192.168.***.*** but when i goto site whatismyipadress.com it shows something like 122.161.***.*** .what is this and which one is used for remote desktop connection. I know my friend's ip address starting with 192.***.***.*** but it doesn't connect. Any opinion on this.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Post moved to a new thread.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    whatismyipaddress will give you the ip address that has been assigned to your computer by your ISP..

if you are going to connect to your friend's computer through the internet, then you will need your friend's ip that is shown by whatismyipaddress

generally 192.168.x.x are used in LAN... from what i've understood, your friend's computer is not connected with yours through LAN, so you will need to connect through the internet. in order to do that, your computer will need to find it first amongst billions of computers that are online. this is where the ip address assigned by the internet service provider comes in..

hope this solves your problem.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    i think you are right but the address shown by whatismyipaddress.com changes everyday that means every time if i want to connect to my friend's PC i have to ask for that ip address, isn't. Is there any way to have a permanent ISP address.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    this is because, your ISP uses DHCP to assign ip addresses to you when your computer comes online...for you to have a single ip address everytime you connect to the internet, you will have to ask your ISP for a static ip address..untill that happens, checking your ip everytime is the only option i think you have...

Have a look at this, it might be what you're looking for

URL : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am not a expert of networking, still what I think is its not possible to take a remote of your friends machine until you two guyz are in the same V-Lan.

Alternative soultion can be use some a VPN connection (there are a lots of free VPN available in the market) and provide the IP which is appearing on your computer only.

you will have to ask your ISP for a static ip address
    I guess its pretty tough, ISP do not provide static IP address till we give some specific requirement.

Am I wrong somewhere, please feel free to correct me.

-CB
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    crazyboy
    I am not a expert of networking, still what I think is its not possible to take a remote of your friends machine until you two guyz are in the same V-Lan.

Alternative soultion can be use some a VPN connection (there are a lots of free VPN available in the market) and provide the IP which is appearing on your computer only.

I guess its pretty tough, ISP do not provide static IP address till we give some specific requirement.

Am I wrong somewhere, please feel free to correct me.

-CB
    yes, you are absolutely correct, usually ISPs don't assign static IPs (except MTNL and maybe a couple of others)..

The link I have provided is for a free VPN service....Hamachi
  • dipen30
    dipen30
    There are two ips in our computer one is static ip and other is dynamic ip.

static ip is given by ISP which is not going to change after reconnecting internet.
    but dynamic ip is changed after re connect the internet.

you can see your ip using cmd.

open cmd and write ipconfig you can see your static and dynamic ip both.

if you want to connect remote desktop then you must have your friend's dyamic ip
    and your friend have your dynamic ip.

using that dynamic ip you both can connect remote desktop.
  • TARANJEET SINGH
    TARANJEET SINGH
    dynamic IP is that one that starts with 122.xxx.xxx.xxx; if i am not wrong.
    connect using remote desktop connection, is it?
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Your computer if connected to the internet through a router, is itself behind the DHCP used by the router, if the router is DHCP enabled in the router settings which usually is if you are on a LAN.

Thats the reason the router has the default getway as 192. 168. 1. 1 assigned to itself and it gives away addresses like 192.168.1.xxx to the computers connecting down the line to it.

Secondly your router is itself behind the DHCP of the ISP which gives out dynamic IP addresses to the nodes( your routers here) connected to it every time a connection is established between your router and the ISP server. And after every session this Dynamic IP address expires creating the need for a new IP address upon the next session. This is Dynamic IP Address system the ISP uses to cater to vast number of nodes and limited IP's to hand out.

So your friends IP will also change per new session and so will yours.

To establish a Remote Desktop Connection you will either have to set the your computer if it is the source, to a specail Static IP address which does not change for every session and is assigned by the ISP on special request. This is the IP address the DHCP server of the ISP hands out to you and remains the Same or Static for further use.

Or you will have to register your IP address with a dynamic dns entry hosting service. Though I am not very sure of this option, it does work it seems. Just try to get more info on this.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    TARANJEET SINGH
    i am a bit confused about ip address. In cmd my ip address is 192.168.***.*** but when i goto site whatismyipadress.com it shows something like 122.161.***.*** .what is this and which one is used for remote desktop connection. I know my friend's ip address starting with 192.***.***.*** but it doesn't connect. Any opinion on this.
    Firstly, Rohan you are a rocker ,
    I will try explaining :

There is something called as private addressing.
    IPV4 is the current addressing format ( you have IVP6 as well - 64bytes) which is 32 bytes.
    The exlusive private addresses reserved are:
    192.x.x.x
    172.x.x.x
    and 10.x.x.x

so when you say you and your friend have 192.x.x.x => you both are in private network,I don't say same private network.Reason being see in IPV4 addressing you have class based addressing right? so 192.x.x.x is a class C address which has first 24 bits( no of possible networks 2^24) as network ID and next 8 bits as home ID. So probability that he is in a diff network is huge!!!So though both of your addresses those IP address are visible when you see from within your own private network , which might be clustered either by your home router or subnetted by your ISP ( which also is a router)
    People outside your private network will not see this address of yours.
    so, your router at home will be allocated with a different IP known as external IP which is global. Every one can see you with that. I have checked the site what you have provided. It shows your external IP address and not private IP address. 😀

ADDENDUM:

at a given point of time , query your IP in whatismyidaddress.com and do a 'tracert' to you freinds computer IP.
  • viswasknit
    viswasknit
    the id given to ur computer 192.168.*.* is a private ip address but ip given by whats is my ip address is the ip address of ur local network server which is assigned by ISP .............
  • amangupt11
    amangupt11
    because u manaully configured ur IP from the TCP/IP... i.e 192.168.***** but actually ur registered IP on the internet is 122.161.*****. thats y dear..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hiiiiiiii any one tell me, how can i develop a multilingual web application with JSP/SERVLET.Please answer me as soon as possible.......😁 viswas kumar email id
Hello fellow engineers! Name: Jason *Engineering Trade: Aerospace Location: US, West Coast *Occupation: New Grad. Had a nice job lined up straight out of college until they announced massive layoffs...
Can any body suggest me literature about foulig factors for various fludis
HI DEAR FRDS IAM TARUN PERSUING MY ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGG FROM ANAND ENGG. COLLEGE,AGRA I NEED SOME ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT CAN BE DONE IN THE FINAL YEAR INFACT...
Mystical Ball Will read ur mind Interesting game check it put yourself....... MysticalBall.com - The Magical Crystal Ball