Query Related to SCJP 1.6 ( SCJP 6.0) Certification Exam

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.

As a CS 2011 graduate, I am looking for a job right now. But as you know job market is kinda dead right now, so I was thinking about raising my skill level. So I wanted to know if SCJP 1.6 Exam for Java Certification a good way to go? Is it a good certification in field of IT? I mean I know Java have strong hold in IT today, but would a certification on my resume really make much difference??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, certification would look good in your resume only if you have the knowledge of the subject. I remember interviewing a person with certification in network who had no knowledge of how networking works in real world. I'd strongly recommend opting for certification in the language/tool you're most comfortable and interested in. Opting for Java because it's 'hot' isn't the right thing to do. First evaluate your field of interest and then go for certifications in that domain. If Java is your choice - SCJP would look really good on your resume. But be alerted that once you tell the recruiters that you've a certification; the expectations suddenly rise. Don't let this scare you and abandon the certification altogether.

Also, be aware that certification alone won't guarantee a job. In Indian IT, you've to crack aptitude test and technical, HR rounds as well. Finally, to answer your question whether it would make a difference: Yes, it will.
  • Mahavir89
    Mahavir89
    Thanks for such quick response.
    Well, Java has been my forte since college. I mean, Its the language I am 'Most Good At'. And I am aware of the fact that a certification would only get me so far in IT field. It may give me an edge, but would not guarantee a job.
    I have done course in CCNA, and I think I am good at it enough to get certification, but the test costs too much and the to land a CCNA based job in CISCO, I need to have better academics (70%) which I don't (64%), so its a no go. Also, I am not sure about its scope.
    Again, thanks for an insight. If anyone have to add anything else useful, please do.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to know that. The point I'm trying to make is that a good certification will impress the interviewers provided that you *know* the stuff. In your case, I think it makes sense to go for the certification and also concentrate on aptitude tests & interview cracking. I'll see whether we can restart our online aptitude tests initiative.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I personally think that when I take interviews, certificate on someone's CV never add any value for me; infect it add few more expectations from the person and I ask few tougher questions sometime😁

But interview is second steps, having said so, I just want to convey that certificates definitely help your CV distinguish with others when HR try to screen the CV (for further interview processing) having same education and experience.

-CB
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I'm planning for the OCPJP certification (formerly SCJP) too.
    @Mahavir89, have you started with your preparations for the same? If yes, then can you please tell me what all study material you are reading from?
    Thanks!
  • Mahavir89
    Mahavir89
    Dancer_Engineer
    I'm planning for the OCPJP certification (formerly SCJP) too.
    @Mahavir89, have you started with your preparations for the same? If yes, then can you please tell me what all study material you are reading from?
    Thanks!
    This one:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

This is the only book my local Library had on SCJP/OCPJ 1.6
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ok. Thanks! πŸ˜€

Check out this book as well:-
    Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates: SCJP/OCP Study Guide
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mahavir89
    Mahavir89
    Dancer_Engineer
    Ok. Thanks! πŸ˜€

Check out this book as well:-
    Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates: SCJP/OCP Study Guide
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Yeah, I was planning on buying that. First I will go through the Library book that I got though.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Yes, do get it. It is a recommended book.
    I will be buying it this weekend. Currently reading core basics from Java- The Complete Reference.
    Haven't been in touch with Java and coding since the past 2-3 months.
  • Mahavir89
    Mahavir89
    Ok.
    Also, I found this forum for Java Certification courses.
    Java Forums at the Big Moose Saloon
    I think you will find it helpful.

PS: I don't know if putting links to other forums is allowed here.πŸ˜•
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    That's a very good forum. I have visited it before.

Don't know if putting links to other forums is allowed or not, but I guess it is not recommened. πŸ˜›

You can send me the link as PM. I'm preparing it alone, not in a study group. So you can keep sharing with me if you come across something useful.
    I'll do the same too, if you want! πŸ˜› πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't worry, we're a bunch of nice(st) people here who won't remove useful links. Just that spamming is not allowed.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Thank you! πŸ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Guys, I have a que. whether we need to write any pre-exam for SCJP or we can directly go for it ???
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    kiran1905411
    Guys, I have a que. whether we need to write any pre-exam for SCJP or we can directly go for it ???
    As per my knowledge, there is no pre-exam for SCJP. But there are mock tests available on the internet.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    K. Thanks...
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    nice thread... I'm planning to go for the exam. Keep posting dears...
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    kiran1905411
    nice thread... I'm planning to go for the exam. Keep posting dears...
    Ofcourse!
    You too can post your study plan and share the study material. πŸ˜€
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    sure...

I just started with this book:
    SCJP Sun certified programmer for Java platform, SE6 study guide

By Richard F. Raposa
  • Laura_1982
    Laura_1982
    Hey guys, i would like to share my experience with you all,

i was finished my SCJP certification with 98%. I used Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates's book for my preparation, it was very helpful to me get knowledge in exam objectives. But my programming knowledge is not good, one of my friend refer me the training kit to improve my knowledge. It really a nice tool, helps me for my carrier. Both OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams book SCJP 6 Certification Training Lab helps me a lot for my preparation.

I strongly recommend you for SCJP 6 certification.
    Thanks guys... get a good score and get success in life...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of engineers in 6th sem & 8th sem must be aware of the companies that will be visiting your campus in coming months. Please share the names of...
Dedicating this thread to share the news about the companies visiting in the colleges near you for "Open Campus" Placement. For the un-aware : Open Campus Placement Drives are open...
I'm wondering whether we've full time bloggers on CrazyEngineers. By full-time bloggers I specifically mean people who blog for a living. If we have any, I'd like to invite you...
Nurture Talent - India's #1 training institute for engineers is conducting workshop for entrepreneurs. Here's press release from the institute- Revenues? Expenses? Investments? Angel Investors? Venture Capital? Do these terms...
I want make a efficient energy reservoir mini project which is not very costly. The idea is... an energy reservoir which stores energy in any whether. from sunlight instead of...