Quant - 2006

Well CEans time to get started. We'll have our Quantitative Analysis questions of the CAT - 2006 in this thread. Lets see whether the CEans find it easy or difficult to solve them. All the best.

Replies

• aashima
    aashima
    Here goes the first question.
    Ques 1: If a/b = 1/3, b/c = 2, c/d = 1/2, d/e = 3 and e/f = 1/4, then what is the value of abc/def ?

(1) 3/8
    (2) 27/8
    (3) 3/4
    (4) 27/4
    (5) 1/4
  • Neha
    Neha
    aashima
    Here goes the first question.
    Ques 1: If a/b = 1/3, b/c = 2, c/d = 1/2, d/e = 3 and e/f = 1/4, then what is the value of abc/def ?

(1) 3/8
    (2) 27/8
    (3) 3/4
    (4) 27/4
    (5) 1/4
    My answer to this question would be option 1 i.e 3/8..right??
  • aashima
    aashima
    Neha
    My answer to this question would be option 1 i.e 3/8..right??

Lets others also try Neha. Between try to add your explanations as well with the answers.
  • Neha
    Neha
    aashima
    Lets others also try Neha. Between try to add your explanations as well with the answers.
    Sure!!

I'll post the explanation when others have replied.
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    Hi Neha,

My answer is also 3/8.can I give explanation or give others also a try?
  • aashima
    aashima
    Do we have any more takers for this??? I expected a good response from CEans on this!
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    May be many thought, OK the problem is simple. And it is in fact so. The actual quant stuff in CAT which is a head ache is the Speed-distance-time part and Work related problems.

Anyway answer is 3/8 as all of you would have got.

Explanation : Sorry, I am usurping someone's wish to post the explanation.
    here goes -
    a/d = a/b*b/c*c/d = 1/3*2*1/2 = 1/3
    b/e = b/c*c/d*d/e = 2*1/2*3 = 3
    c/f = c/d*d/e*e/f = 1/2*3*1/4 = 3/8

abc/def = a/d*b/e*c/f = 1/3*3*3/8 = 3/8

Simple right?

Anyway, let me take this opportunity to propose something.
    May be people who gave their CAT exams this year, can post in questions to which they couldn't find answers. And we others here can exercise our brains to find the solution.

What do the others say?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nice Idea. Aashima has already taken an initiative to start the related threads. CAT takers may put the difficult questions in these threads.

Way to go, Guys! ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima
    reachrkata
    Explanation : Sorry, I am usurping someone's wish to post the explanation.
    No problems with that Reachrkata, besides answering correctly, answering in minimum possible time is also a factor that counts. So everybody should come up with the explanation.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Its hard to find out here, but can anyone get the answer without actually solving the problem?
    ... i mean to say, sometimes just by looking at some of these ratios, u can rationalize abc/def = c/f = 3/8

heres its reasoning,
    a/b = 1/3 ... ab/b^2=1/3 and d/e = 3 ... de/e^2=3 ... e^2/de = 1/3 = ab/b^2 ... thus ab=de
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kidakaka has a point. CAT is not about tough questions. Actually the questions are very basic.

The CAT gets tougher because of the time constraint. So, the idea is to crack the questions without actually solving step-by-step.

Short-cuts! Anyone? ๐Ÿ˜‰

-The Big K-
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    I would concur partially.
    It totally depends on what your strength is.
    If one is very good at manipulating variables to get the final answer, its good.
    But for me, it looks straightforward that a/d is the multiplication of a/b, b/c and c/e. So if i am very fast in fraction arithmetic, this problem I think is totally solvable in 15 secs.

So there is never "a" shortcut method for the problem. You choose the method that works the fastest for you.

Just my $0.02 !!

By the way, any more problems?
  • VISHAL007
    VISHAL007
    Acccording to me the answer is 3/8.
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well the correct answer indeed is 3/8. And thats good to know that all of the CEans cracked it! Great going!
  • aashima
    aashima
    Okay lets have next question now.
    Ques 2: If x = โ€“0.5, then which of the following has the smallest value?

(1) 2^1/x
    (2) 1/x
    (3) 1/x^2
    (4) 2^X
    (5) 1/ โˆ’x^1/2โ€‹

Flood in with your answers CEans, All the best!โ€‹
  • Neha
    Neha
    My answer to this question would be option 2.
    (Fingers crossed)
  • Mahesh
    Mahesh
    Hi,
    Good start.

My answer is option 2 (1/x)
  • aashima
    aashima
    Guys try to add your explanations for proper verification.
    Between any more takers??? Cme on CEans..
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well the correct option is (2).

Sol. Go by option, put x=-1/2
    โ€‹
    โ€‹

(1) 2^(-2) = 1/4
    (2) 1/x => 1/ (-1/2) = -2
    (3) 1/ (x^2) => 1/ (-1/2)^2 = 4
    (4) 2^ (-1/2) = 1/ 2^1/2โ€‹
  • aashima
    aashima
    Good going Neha and Mahesh.

Ques: A survey was conducted of 100 people to find out whether they had read recent issues of Golmal, a monthly magazine. The summarized information regarding readership in 3 months is given below:
    Only September: 18; September but not August: 23; September and July: 28;September: 28; July: 48; July and August: 10;
    None of the three months: 24.โ€‹

What is the number of surveyed people who have read exactly two consecutive issues (out of the three)?
    (1) 7
    (2) 9
    (3) 12
    (4) 14
    (5) 17โ€‹

All the best!โ€‹
  • SuparnaDey
    SuparnaDey
    Hallo,
    I do not get ans.s of my Q.Which I post 5 days ago.My posting headline is Apti Problems from MBA under CE Higher Education.Please guide me.I think U people will be interested to solve those.As I find them heard.
    Bye
    Suparna
  • LORD_EC
    LORD_EC
    @supernaday
    yar i can give u a detailed explanation about those probs and how to handle them.But i dont have time to post it here.Stay touch with me thorugh PM/or instant messaging.
    my id is : nsit.vipul [@]gmail[dot]com

PS: I wil post the solution here after some time,when i wil get time to do so.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, please do post the solutions over here. Explaining problems through email or over IM will help one, but posting the solution on CE will help many.

-The Big K-
  • nyny
    nyny
    aashima
    Good going Neha and Mahesh.

Ques: A survey was conducted of 100 people to find out whether they had read recent issues of Golmal, a monthly magazine. The summarized information regarding readership in 3 months is given below:
    Only September: 18; September but not August: 23; September and July: 28;September: 28; July: 48; July and August: 10;
    None of the three months: 24.โ€‹

What is the number of surveyed people who have read exactly two consecutive issues (out of the three)?
    (1) 7
    (2) 9
    (3) 12
    (4) 14
    (5) 17โ€‹

All the best!โ€‹
    Do you know the solution to this? I'm stuck...
  • Kartik Vyas
    Kartik Vyas
    This problem can be solved using the venn diagram approach. Draw three intersecting circle with one representing each month. Then add the values. You can easily eliminate options 1 and 2 since july and august is already given as 10. So you now just need to find out how many people read august and sept but not july. This can be found out by substracting from 100 Only July readers, then readers of all the three issues, then only august readers, only september readers and july and sept readers. You may try it now. Do post if you have some more difficulties.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well CEans time for some english now. We'll have our English questions of the CAT - 2006 in this thread. It was said its difficult this time, may be. But...
Hello CEans! Let us begin this edition of CE Bulletin with a short story about www.CrazyEngineers.com. CrazyEngineers came to life about an year ago on November 26, 2005 with a...
Hello CEans! While browsing the net, I came across this article on Cnet News - https://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6133998.html Yahoo is late, but better late than never. The best thing I liked about...
Hi, I want to install Red Hat Linux on my computer which already has Windows XP. I have one 80 GB hard drive with partitions C:20 GB and rest D:...
Hi, I am curious to know about the difference between FAT & NTFS hard drives. What are the advantages & disadvantages of using FAT/NTFS? Jerry