Pump Calculations

A farmer uses a centrifugal pump to pump the river water to a storage tank located in his farm 20 m above the river . If the water is filled in the tank at the rate of 15 L/s and frictional losses in the pipe is 0.5m. Calculate how much extra he has to pay for his monthly electricity bill (30days) while running the pump for 6 hours daily. The motor and pump efficiency is 70% and cost of electricity is 38 c /KWH.

can any one briefly explain how to do this problem?????

Replies

• Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    please describe frictional losses in correct units
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ammar Aziz
    please describe frictional losses in correct units
    That is the correct unit. Head of water in metres.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    but sir please explain me that what is the meaning of o.5m frictional losses
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If you look at the Bernoulli's equation, everything is converted into equivalent height of liquid column. In the present case, the 0.5 m is about 2.5% of the differential head of 20 meters. The implication is that the pump is raising the water not by 20 m but by 20 m + 0.5 m (friction head). In effect the pump consumes proportionately that much more power.
    Incidentally, this is not included in the pump efficiency. That is a separate issue.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    bioramani
    If you look at the Bernoulli's equation, everything is converted into equivalent height of liquid column. In the present case, the 0.5 m is about 2.5% of the differential head of 20 meters. The implication is that the pump is raising the water not by 20 m but by 20 m + 0.5 m (friction head). In effect the pump consumes proportionately that much more power.
    Incidentally, this is not included in the pump efficiency. That is a separate issue.
    Thank You Sir

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

International Data Corporation (IDC) has published a research about future of mobile OS market share by 2016. I think by 2016 everyone in the world will have a mobile phone....
hello friends in my net lab some sites are banned such as facebook so i can't use my fb accout whenever i m present in my net lab can any...
A turbo charged engine unleashes the power of chervolet optra magnum.so, what you get is an unmatched driving experience, great fuel efficiency and lower emissions. All of this and more...
Hello Sir/ Ma'am , On behalf of GITM Group of Institutions ,Gurgaon, it gives us immense pleasure to introduce WAVES 2012- Our ANNUAL TECHNO SPORTS CULTURAL ENIGMA from 5th Nov...
my dear friends can any one tell me about the sites where i can give my gate practice test for free. whichever sites i login it only require is the...