PS3 Slim from Sony - What's new?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Sony's sleeker and lighter version of its gaming console, called the PlayStation 3 Slim is now available in India. As PS3 moves into the fourth year of its launch, here's a comparison between the original (or classic) PS3 and PS3 Slim. As you can imagine, most of the differences lie in its physical attributes. Here are some -

• PS3 Slim is 33% smaller and 36% lighter than the classic PS3.
  • The original PS3 has a shiny piano black glossy finish, while PS3 Slim has a Matt plastic finish to avoid those fingerprints on the console.
  • With PS3 Slim you save on electricity as it consumes 35% less power.
  • The touch sensitive buttons (eject, power on/off) from the classic console have been replaced by actual physical buttons in PS3 Slim.
  • With a 120 GB hard drive, PS3 Slim has more memory than the original 80GB one.
  • The manual On/Off button present in the rear of the original PS3 has been done away with in the latest console.
  • Unlike the classic one, PS3 Slim does not support PS2 games.
  • While both PS3 and PS3 Slim have been priced the same (USD 299), classic PS3 comes with two additional games.
Purely by looks and size, PS3 Slim is definitely more impressive. However when it comes to comparing features like the gaming performance and the blue-ray disc speed, the jury is still out. Only time can tell whether PlayStation 3 Slim becomes a cult gaming console or not.

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    PS3 Slim appeals more in terms of look and power consumption

But only the sales will tell the response in terms of the performance
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    From the initial comparison vids I've seen (with firmware updated for both classic and slim), the slim version takes a little longer to boot up and load games.

I'm thinking the lack for PS2 backward compatibility might put off those who already have PS2 games, or would like to try out the abundant PS2 titles to supplement the lack of PS3 ones (as good as they are).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hah! This is awesome news! 😁 The handset supports dual SIM, has FM, MP3, talk-time of 420 minutes, standby time of 240 minutes and is available in Black+Grey, Black+Red and...
Scientists at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology have developed an eco-friendly silicon-air battery capable of powering devices for thousands of hours before replacement. “Silicon-air batteries will be used like the...
civil engineering viva questions for IInd years hi all, This thread is a compilations of the Viva questions the civil engineering students may face during the viva sessions. Please enlist...
hi,i am doing my engineering in electronics and communication. i am now in third year.i heard about a course ME.SHIPPING AND LOGISTIC from one of my relative.Is there any course...
Anyone out there got any ideas to help me with. Im a second year apprentice for ExxonMobil doing instrumentation. I have been set the task of completing an instrumentation project....