Protect Accounts against Firesheep

Firesheep is an add-on for Firefox that can let anyone scan through open Wi-Fi network and steal account information of users.
Account details of websites like Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Hotmail and several others can easily accessed using this add-on.

To protect your account details from getting hijacked by anyone. Here are some pointers shared by Butler to protect users in the simplest possible ways:

1) HTTPS-Everywhere Extension: Created by Electronics Frontier Foundation, this add-on makes the Firefox browser use only HTTPS (Secured) connection for certain websites. Unfortunately, this works only with definite list of websites only.

2) Force-TLS:
Yet another Firefox extension that will let users to specify and create own list of domain names for forcing HTTPS requests.

3) Virtual Private Network:
Using Virtual Private Networks could be an ideal solution for corporate environment and hardly for a home based user.

These aren't the ultimate solutions that will serve the purpose of securing your account details being hijacked over open Wi-Fi.

However, they do promise protection against snooping through Firesheep or similar tools.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

any one having info regarding company hcl comnet. i am btech fresher and got mail from their side for technical support non-voice job.. i want to know about selection procedure...
hello I need your help in my project it's a live GPS tracking for personal buddy and specified for human buddy so I want to make a device which will...
HI CEans!!! Could anyone help me in .... ..............How to build a robot that climbs in a rope !!!!!!😎 Iam waiting for the response !!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>😁
sam was faster than jack.denise beat jim but lost to jack .who was the winner?
Hi guys, do you have any idea to design steady flow test rig for cylinder head? Do you guys have the relevant resources to share with me? Anyway, what is...