Proposed CE Mega Project : CE standalone application

This idea came in my mind when I was surfing the CE forum. What if we make a standalone application especially built for CE. I thought deeply about this project. I dont know that whether this idea can be implemented or not but I thought that it will be great if I share this idea on CE.

Replies

• RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    After having few visualization of this idea on my mind, I determined some distinct features of this standalone application. Here is the some features that can be in the application:
    1. The most striking feature of application is that it must be pre-loaded with CE palletes, so that we can surf forum easily. The theme palletes are in-built so it gives advantage of super fast browsing of CE forums. This can be possible because we dont have to load the whole page again and again, it just need to catch the new text and images in the thread.
    2. The application should have some flash notifiers. The notifier should display the notifications in one of the corner or side. The notification can be a new pm, or new thread or even it is possible to put notifications for new posts for specific forum or specific thread.
    It can also have a new member notifier.
    3. It can have click & expand features for all forum. It wil save lots of time according to me.
    4. It can have auto refresh facility for user defined thread or forum.

I dont know how you all will react on this, but I can definately said that If this project can be possible than it will be a CE DREAM PROJECT.
    CEans what do you think about this. Let us have some opinions & suggestion on this initiative. I am very excited about this and will looking forward for something great!!!
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Nice, Give it a try Rajdeep
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I will give contribution with all the capabilities I have. But as per me this project demands great teamwork & team effort. So I am looking forward for the team of crazy minds!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice to see the interest here. I guess we wanted to do this with our CE Browser project, but momentum for that stopped dead. A standalone one dedicated to the surfing of CE would make better sense indeed.

Do you think you can combine these features with the CE Messenger project?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Yes. Once we done with the primary version of "CE Standalone Application" than we can go ahead with some features like CE Messenger or CE RSS Feed Reader.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    One more thing CEans,
    On which language we should code the project?
    Please post your opinions and tell us that how the described language will be better to code this project.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Rajdeep, have you gone through the CE Messenger project threads? You might get some ideas from there.

What programming languages are you comfortable with?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I am quite comfortable with C/C++. But will learn something new after my exams are over.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Alright, we'll see.

In the meantime, lets see some possible sketch of what the GUI could look like.. where buttons could be, etc. Not meant to be a perfect concept, but at least the placements of modules and functions would guide us and help us visualize the final product.

A more formal way of doing it is to define all the functions first. But thats too boring.. *grin* Need some visual motivation!
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I have created an animation for the title bar of this application. Its just a visualization which I was thinking of. Need your reviews to make this application more feature-rich. Here it is,
    [​IMG]
    Later I will try to make the image of whole application as ash specified.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Have you decided the language to create this app?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I have never experienced making any application, so I haven't decided yet.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    With the reference to your image I thought, you are going to create it with the Visual C++
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good work!

Now we have a rough visualization of what the application should achieve. I suppose in the white space we'll have the posts being displayed yeah? And the display mode could probably be threaded to allow for quick loading.

What else can we display immediately? messages? Subscribed threads? Something like how MS Outlook for Mozilla Thunderbird displays their content?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    @ms_cs, yes I am thinking to make it in VC++.
    @ash, I am thinking of creating a default pallete in which all the features of thread such as visual themes are pre-loaded. So the application need to cache only the text feed and this will result in greater speed.
    PS : I am wishing to do this project as my final year project. What you say?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Final year project ? Good.
    So you are going to create a new template design for ce in this app?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    One more thing if you are decided to design it with VC++, you can easily done this, I think 😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    RajdeepCE
    @ash, I am thinking of creating a default pallete in which all the features of thread such as visual themes are pre-loaded. So the application need to cache only the text feed and this will result in greater speed.
    PS : I am wishing to do this project as my final year project. What you say?
    Ah right, thanks for reminding me, haha. The one obstacle you need to overcome is knowing the authentication methods that CE uses, based on the vBulletin board system. We have previously discussed at an old thread related to the CE messenger:

#-Link-Snipped-#

As ms_cs said, Visual C++ should be a breeze to produce some awesome looking applications 😀

By the way Rajdeep, we are counting on you to keep the momentum of this project going! We shall help you along the way, hehe.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Thanks ash for your support.
    And one good news is that my final year will start within few months ( cause exams of 6th sem is remaining ). Upto this time I will google on vBulletin stuff . And will start coding as soon as my exams finished.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    RajdeepCE
    I will give contribution with all the capabilities I have. But as per me this project demands great teamwork & team effort. So I am looking forward for the team of crazy minds!!!
    If any kind of help you need, you are always free to post here man. One suggestion from my side [ take it or ignore it your wish ] - When you can make it in Visual C++ then why not in VB.net or C#? Your application would look much better and even would provide you facility of better features.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Thanks Shalini for suggestion.
    I am planning to learn new language in short time. Will consider your suggestion.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Today i read so many threads, in which ceans had taken very nice initiative with wonderful projects

but except a few projects none of these projects get completed😔 .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi I am computer engineer but not a qualified engineer. I need to know about the way object oriented design works. i.e. everything about classes and its relationships with its...
Hi all crazy CEans!! I have a great idea to increase the number of active member. When I first got the idea & I contacted godfather for help. He said...
Hi guys, thought it's about time to come to the experts, basically my set up is, 3 wires coming out of the ceiling, each wire has its own blue, brown...
We can even change the extension of the file. But, to find the original extension of the file, We need magic number associated with the file. I don;t know the...
Chrome's in version 2.0 on Windows and available on Mac and Linux; Apple's beaming with pride over Safari 4; Opera's still pushing the envelope with Opera 10; and we're all...