Project Title Implementation of OSPF

Hey friends,
In this semester my project title is "Implementation of Minimal OSPF"
That means implementing the link state routing protocol with some features of OSPF.
We have to include those features only which are required for a small organisation like a college.
There is a lot of complexity in OSPF so we have to implement a smaller version of it.

Please suggest which featture set i must include and i can remove from OSPF.
Also provide some tutorial link if you have related to OSPF.
I am currently studying from "Routers in the Internet" by christiana huitema.
Its a nice book though.
Still i would love suggestions from CEans..

Thanks guys...😀

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    are you going to deploy the same? or it is only for simulation purpose?
    apart from the core functionality of OSPF including neighbor discovery, database syc and route calculations ( your metrics come here) , though there are quite few key characteristics, I feel Dijkstra SPF, cost based routing, multi-path are primary.
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    hey Durga Thanks for suggestion...
    No Its just for simulation purpose right now.
    I have thought of using just 1 metric (shortest path) that means my LSP (Link State Protocol) does not support multiple metrics
    because it will used for small organizations just like a college or some department.
    And i thought that i should not include feature of OSPF areas (hierarchial routing) as the network inside college may contains just 5-10 routers
    So database size is not so large. What do you think ?
    Am i right ?
    Or is this necessary to suppot OSPF areas concept ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i was not awrae of your 1 metric requirement 😛. but that was why i did not suggest Hrirarchial as it was not too important in your case as you are not scaling too much.
    The advantage of doing heiratchial would be, you will be able to verify the LSA going between two areas and that would indeed complete your simulation
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    @ Durga
    Yes you are right.
    But i am thinking of implementing without hierarchial routing concept.
    If i am able to finish it within time then i would surely work ahead but i know even without OSPF areas
    i have to do lot of coding and reading So i would think over it later.

Doubt
    In case if flooding protocol, we always send the packet on all interfaces except the one on which we have received the messgae.
    can you please tell me how can i know on which interface i have received the packet ?

I will configure my Laptop with Linux as router using virtual NIC.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hi BB,

I aren't too sure of the algorithm what the router runs to check the source port, but i could think of a simple mechanism, like comparing the destination IP of the incoming packet and then comparing it with all the interfaces configured on the router.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IIT Mumbai (Bombay) has organized The Entrepreneur Summit 2011 on February 6, 2011. This year's speakers list includes - Mr. Shashi Ruia, Chairman, Esaar Group. Mr. Tulsi Tanti, Chairman, Suzlon....
Forget ASIMO with his awkward movements and non-expressive face. We now have the first of a kind robot with human spinal cord. The robot is developed by the evangelists at...
BSNL 3G offers great surprizes to me every time I use it. I've made a new discovery which is apparently correct. BSNL 3G download speed varies according to the file...
DRDO scientists are resigning from their job and joining Indian IT services. About 20 top DRDO scientists have quit to join the IT Industry in last 6 months. These scientists...
The awesome campus at Pune will get more protection from over 130 CSIF personnel. The Pune campus is third in the list of CSIF monitored INFY campuses after Bangaluru and...