Project for Final year read before saying like every thread

I want to do something big.I'm ready to work hard learn new stuff and for the record I have already done before.SO I need a idea with MS in mind.I was thinking on AI lines coz I have already done 2 automation projects.A little lose on hardware knowledge esp Electronics...so a good idea please

Replies

• tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Sculpture In Clay

Automated forming of shapes by computer controlled machinery usually depends on operating on rigid materials and the main problem is planning the pure geometry of how a tool will be passed over the material to create the desired shape. In contrast to this, when human sculptors create figures with clay ( wax based or water based) they are not dealing with a rigid material. Each operation that they perform to add or subtract a blob of material may deform the area around the work site. So the task involves feedback and a continual updating of the mental model of the shape of the sculpture. Attempting to duplicate the skill of the sculptor with automation suggests some interesting projects.

One project would be a software simulation of an automated sculptor. This would require developing an effective computer model for the behavior of clay and simulating the action and control of an automated sculpting machine. One could either explicitly model the sensors used by the sculptor to detect the current shape of the sculpture or bypass this problem by using the computer's knowledge of the current simulated shape directly.

A more physical realization of this idea would be to actually build an automated sculptor. The simplest way to start might be to begin with the style of sculpture known as "relief" (such as is used on handmade ceramic tiles) where the figure is only slightly 3 dimensional.

On a more mundane level, ordinary operations on rigid materials would benefit from feedback about the current situation. For example "3D printers" such as the open source project at makerbot.com might benefit from the ability to "see" the current shape that it has created. More traditional equipment such as CAD/CAM machinery would benefit from the ability to sense errors in the current shape, for example, errors caused by lose or broken tool bits, lose clamping of the work piece etc.
  • gamutree
    gamutree
    thanks for the reply....I'm more interested in game development....esp simulation games any suggestion on how can go about doing that.Dun need a idea rather what should I be doing to learn
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Are you talking about "MS" as a degree? (Master Of Science?). What is your field of study?
    Some college departments are happy when a student's MS project only demonstrates that existing technology has been learned. Others may want to see the beginning of original work and discovery in addition to that.

If you only need to learn existing graphics technology, look into 3D animation using quaternions - ( if you don't already understand it).

I am not a game developer. I suspect that modern game developers use many software tools that are specially written for that purpose ("game engines").
  • gamutree
    gamutree
    Currently I'm in final year of my graduation.I intend to do masters in US in game development.I want to make a football simulation game.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can u tell me something about Conference in final yr?? Is it Paper presentation????????
Awesome! It's been 40 years since Appolo was launched. It all started from in 1960 when NASA visualised sendign humans on moon. The mission started of with a monkey and...
Hello Guys, Im new to Tomcat and am trying setup Jmeter working..guess Im missing something here. I have downloaded the binaries and have a default install I trying to run...
Hai, Find GATE question papers and practice tests at . Its a free resource. Register to get access to the information.
Hello everyone, i'm a student of mechanical engineering in pre-final year. me and my friends have decided to make a project on valved pulse-jet. evenhough i got a lot of...