Programming in Civil Engineering

Many people doubt the use of C++/C# programming in civil engineering . But we can also make our career in this field as programming is the sole of any civil engineering software .

Also another point I would like to bring is -
Civil Engineering is not limited to the Field work and thus the knowledge of softwares like
Primavera, StadPro,Catia,AutoCAD, SAP, Ravit, etc. have become the need of the hour ...So a Civil engineer need to be a geek too in Programming as well as in Designing...
Do you agree???

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-# That's a great question you brought up.
    I've a friend in IT who is a civil engineer by graduation degree. I happened to ask him the same question. From our discussion I figured out that civil engineers can develop their own programs for research. They can learn languages like C, VB.NET, FORTRAN and MATLAB.
    By making small applications, you create products suitable for a civil engineer's needs in the field (like unit converters, a collection of constants & Symbols, small structural analysis softwares). The world is going digital at a rapid rate. So that would be a big plus!

You can learn dynamic simulation of system. There are some great tools available for same like - ExtendSim, GoldSim, Anylogic, Stella etc.
    You can also get a job of modifying the source code of existing (open source) civil engineering softwares.

It is a wild open arena out there.
  • RISHABH LALA
    RISHABH LALA
    AbraKaDabra

You can learn dynamic simulation of system. There are some great tools available for same like - ExtendSim, GoldSim, Anylogic, Stella etc.
    You can also get a job of modifying the source code of existing (open source) civil engineering softwares.

#-Link-Snipped-# can you give some more information about ExtendSim, GoldSim, Anylogic, Stella ?? and also about their download links ...pls
  • Prashant Lakhera
    Prashant Lakhera
    Ankita Katdare
    I've a friend in IT who is a civil engineer by graduation degree. I happened to ask him the same question. From our discussion I figured out that civil engineers can develop their own programs for research. They can learn languages like C, VB.NET, FORTRAN and MATLAB.
    By making small applications, you create products suitable for a civil engineer's needs in the field (like unit converters, a collection of constants & Symbols, small structural analysis softwares). The world is going digital at a rapid rate. So that would be a big plus!

I m a civil engg. student. I have learnt html, php, javascript, ajax. Now a days I m working on ASP.NET. Are they of any use to me as a civil engg???
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    RISHABH LALA
    Many people doubt the use of C++/C# programming in civil engineering . But we can also make our career in this field as programming is the sole of any civil engineering software .

Also another point I would like to bring is -
    Civil Engineering is not limited to the Field work and thus the knowledge of softwares like
    Primavera, StadPro,Catia,AutoCAD, SAP, Ravit, etc. have become the need of the hour ...So a Civil engineer need to be a geek too in Programming as well as in Designing...
    Do you agree???
    I am sure, this will help to reduce the time which we spend with calculators. If once the program is created sucessfully, then we get the result within a fraction of seconds.
    For me, i am created a macros in excel to finish my jobs with a single click. I think its easy to design a simple structure using macros. But for complicated structures need more codings 😛. Since i am not a expert to write the codes. it takes more time to create. So finally i go with manual designs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello all never really done this before but here goes nothing, I am looking talk to an engineer (I have no idea what kind of engineer I am looking for)...
hello engineers...... i m making a robot for the robowars competitions and i need your help for selecting motors for motion and weapon. weight of the robot will be around...
How do you like the idea of playing Guitar to compose and send that important email to your boss? What do you think about adding music to the boring business...
The London Array has finally reached is full capacity as the engineers commissioned the 175th (final) turbine. Dong Energy reported that with all the turbines now connected with the national...
When we say the Universe, we are really referring to the observable universe. What is beyond is a lot of conjecture. The Planck Cosmology Probe took a picture of an...