Program incompatibity from XP to 7

I'm just curious to know why a program supported in xp environment doesn't work in 7 ?
please pour your comments.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    shailaja revathi
    I'm just curious to know why a program supported in xp environment doesn't work in 7 ?
    I think it does support, doesn't it ?
    I am no Windows user, but I have seen the option named "Compatibility" which can let you run program in different compatibility modes.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well 32 bit XP files are not compatible with 64 Bit 7 OS

I am not sure about the rest 90% of the files are cross platform But some run in 32 64 and 80 Bit variations Do check it
  • mail154
    mail154
    Abhishek Rawal
    I think it does support, doesn't it ?
    I am no Windows user, but I have seen the option named "Compatibility" which can let you run program in different compatibility modes.

Sorry Linux User, Its still the compatibility issue. Most of the times the option doesn't Work for me.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    A machine can only understand it's own language. That's why a program compiled for one CPU doesn't work on another. That's the reason Java became popular because now you no longer target a CPU. You compile for a VM ,which is CPU specific, that interprets the byte-code and executes the instruction.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    mail154
    Sorry Linux User, Its still the compatibility issue. Most of the times the option doesn't Work for me.
    No wonder why Windows sucks 😉
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Abhishek Rawal
    No wonder why Windows sucks 😉

Windows doesn't suck. It comes with a manual too. You need to know everything about anything before trying to judge it.

shailaja revathi

It depends solely on which type of software/application you are trying to run. Some applications are developed to run on a particular environment. Like some need JAVA to execute. The software might be developed with dependancy on some module which was avalable in winxp but later replaced with some advanced version in win7. This means the module required to run that app is unavailable in win7 so it cannot run. You can always use emulators of xp to run those apps or use virtual machines.

FYI, many .dlls and dependancy modules are replaced with advanced versions/files while transitioning from winxp to win7. Hence the issue.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    Thank you for replies above .
    But my question was from Turbo C point of view .I mean that program runs in xp environment but not in win7.
    and my teacher told me that" it is because of bytes ".(I couldn't get what she meant hence preferred asking here on forum.)
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    But my question was from Turbo C point of view .I mean that program runs in xp environment but not in win7.
    and my teacher told me that" it is because of bytes ".(I couldn't get what she meant hence preferred asking here on forum.)
    Conqueror
    Well 32 bit XP files are not compatible with 64 Bit 7 OS

I am not sure about the rest 90% of the files are cross platform But some run in 32 64 and 80 Bit variations Do check it
    32 bit xp softwares aren't compatible with win7 32-bit os and 32-bit os files not with 64-bit os.
    why?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    shailaja revathi

32 bit xp softwares aren't compatible with win7 32-bit os and 32-bit os files not with 64-bit os.
    why?
    winxp 32bit architechture is different than win7 32bit as i explained in my previous reply. So they wont be compatible with each other.

For difference in 32bit os and 64bit os, i think we already have a thread dedicated on that discussion. for detailed info check this one out

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    When the program was written it would have been made for windows xp and at that time windows 7 was not into existence as at my workplace am running 845 graphics drivers on windows 7 x86 its a dell machine designed for windows xp.
    I ran drivers in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode and it works fine after a restart.
    Software programmers and developers always bother about the software backward compatibility.👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As per the latest leak, Intel's HEDT Processors Core-i7 Ivy Bridge-E will be available to specific markets in the world from 4th september onwards. The fully release of Ivy Bridge-E...
For those who have time to waste, here is a D-I-Y cell phone: https://www.instructables.com/id/ArduinoPhone/?ALLSTEPS
Be warned. Use of this device has a potential hazard of getting you to class on time and possibly electrify the girls and guys around. https://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Mini-Motorcycle/?ALLSTEPS
Electronic devices and components Some common electronic components are capacitors, inductors, resistors, diodes, transistors, etc. Components are often categorized as active (e.g. transistors and thyristors) or passive (e.g. resistors and...
https://nrumiano.free.fr/Estars/b_holes.html A must read which clearly helps in differentiating the black hole from other stars and also some criteria for a star to turn into a black hole This also...