Problem with ubuntu install

hi
I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside Windows XP.
So I make the partition and do the installation through the CD.
While installing there was a step where we need to create partitions like Root,Boot, swap area. I made it correctly.
There was one more option Select the BootLoader information.
and it automatically taken something I don`t understand it. So I drop down the options and get the list.
I choose the option as Microsoft Windows XP.
and after that I successfully install the ubuntu. Now the problem is whenever I start the laptop I got 4/5 options. Ubuntu generic,memo test etc. Last option is MS Windows XP.
If I want to go for XP its not getting started.
Now what to do?
Ubuntu is working fine. But what to do with XP.
( I am able to access all C drive through Ubuntu. i.e. I have not installed ubuntu at C drive.)
Please help me.
I think I changed the boot loader information.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Getting those 4/5 options is normal and to the best of my knowledge uBuntu adds them by default. You can of course edit those options by going to: System > Administration > StartUp-Manager.

Could you tell us what exactly happens after you select Windows XP option in the boot loader at the start up? Does the system throw any error message? Typically, if you did not get any error message during the install; the dual boot should work absolutely fine. I've installed uBuntu along with Windows several times and never had a problem.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: I did few searches on Google and found that Canonical has acknowledge few issues with Windows XP, uBuntu dual boot & NTFS. Go through WindowsDualBoot - Community Help Wiki and check if that solves your problem.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Me too faced this problem and end up to farmating the whole HDD,after that I keep linux on my portable device.
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my pen drive and when I need to ubuntu just boot from pen drive.
    Every other thing like all file , drives are usable.
    Ubuntu 11.04 is very good in interface vise .๐Ÿ˜€
  • vivekp26.1
    vivekp26.1
    thank you guys.

#-Link-Snipped-# : when i select the option MS Windows XP, the screen flashes and again return to the same menu
    Ubuntu generic
    Memory Test
    Memory Test( Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    I think the windows is not getting started as there might be change in Boot Loader information.
    Now what to do to access both the operating systems?
    the final solution is format the C drive install XP first then ubuntu.
    Is there any option like installing XP after Ubuntu?
    i.e. is there any possibility that I can format C drive and install XP but keeping Ubuntu as it is.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Windows usually ignores other operating systems and wipes them out when you're trying to create a dual boot. Even uBuntu asks users to have Windows XP installed first and then go for uBuntu.

Have you made sure that the media you're installing from is error free? Has it been tested elsewhere? If not, get a fresh copy of uBuntu and burn it on DVD before you proceed.

I'd also like to have a look at your system configuration & hardware. How are you partitioning the disk for uBuntu (root, swap etc.)?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you are deciding again to install xp with ubuntu. use Virtual box.
    Installing Ubuntu inside Windows using VirtualBox
    to avoid conflict again. In case of problem you can just delete virtual box.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# :That's actually a good idea if the hardware is capable. Running two operating systems at a same time is going to hog more resources. That's why asked for system configuration ๐Ÿ˜€

Minimum 2 GB RAM should run box XP and uBuntu fine. But running them at a same time would require at least 4GB memory.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes,
    hardware limitation is there.
  • vivekp26.1
    vivekp26.1
    thanks you guys for your valuable posts.
    one more thing i want to ask. As I install XP once again in the same laptop( previously it is having ubuntu) the ubuntu is not working as the boot loader information is changed.
    now the problem is in my computer i m not able to see the space allocated for ubuntu. I know as it is linux we can not see the drives of linux in windows.
    my computer is having C, D, E, F drives.
    I want to get the space back as I don`t want to waste the 10GB used by ubuntu(ubuntu is not working), so I go to my computer->manage->disk management
    there i found the space for ubuntu. I selected the space and deleted the ubuntu drives(root,boot and swap).
    But I dnt kno what happend the drives E,F also get deleted.
    as i know they are in NTFS format and only used to store data.
    Now in disk management it is showing free space including the space used by E and F drives.
    My question is what is the reason behind it??
    and how can i restore the space as it is having the important data in it???
    how to recover the data???
    please help me.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It looks like something went wrong when you use the disk management. I don't remember whether the disk management in XP lets you adjust the size of the volume. Your best bet is to try a data recovery software and see whether it can recover your data. I hope you've not formatted your free space; if yes, it's going to complicate the things.

That's the reason, it's very important to backup the data before you play with hard drives.

If you have a backup; then simply create new partitions and make sure that uBuntu has about 20-30 GB of space available before you attempt another install.
  • vivekp26.1
    vivekp26.1
    thanks.
    i hav not formatted the disk...also not stored any new data from that incident....
    can you suggest some data recovery softwares....also how to recover data.....
    do i need to remove the hard disk and attach to another machine(where the software is installed) in order to recover that data???..if so is there any software which will recover data in the same machine..means i dnt need to remove the hard drive physically?
  • sunilrk
    sunilrk
    If you want to install any linux along side of windows xp.Follow the following procedure

1. Right click on Mycomputer->manage->Storage->Disk management and delete one extended partition.Dont delete any primary partitions

2.Now install linux into freespace.Then you will have no problems if you deleted ubuntu again from the diskmanagement
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I'm also facing a boot problem.
    This is my FIRST attempt at Ubuntu, and I've very little knowledge about it.
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 alongside with Windows 7.
    I had downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 and saved it to a DVD after which I installed it.
    I selected the ext4 file system and the mount point as '/'.
    I selected the 20000MB free space from the disk for installing Ubuntu.
    I DID NOT however give a swap space.
    The entire installation is complete and I've removed the DVD.
    But when I restarted my laptop, the boot menu shows only Windows 7 and does not show Ubuntu.

When I searched the internet, I found out that my MBR (Master Boot Record) must have some wrong settings. But I am not sure how to manually edit the boot and am also unaware of the commands.
    What can I do now?

P.S. I'm using a Dell Inspiron1525 laptop with 2 GB RAM and 250 GB of HDD.
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    anoopthefriend
    I'm also facing a boot problem.
    This is my FIRST attempt at Ubuntu, and I've very little knowledge about it.
    I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 alongside with Windows 7.
    I had downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 and saved it to a DVD after which I installed it.
    I selected the ext4 file system and the mount point as '/'.
    I selected the 20000MB free space from the disk for installing Ubuntu.
    I DID NOT however give a swap space.
    The entire installation is complete and I've removed the DVD.
    But when I restarted my laptop, the boot menu shows only Windows 7 and does not show Ubuntu.

When I searched the internet, I found out that my MBR (Master Boot Record) must have some wrong settings. But I am not sure how to manually edit the boot and am also unaware of the commands.
    What can I do now?

P.S. I'm using a Dell Inspiron1525 laptop with 2 GB RAM and 250 GB of HDD.
    MBR is not my thing , so i do almost everything from partitioning to allocating space manually .. below are the steps ..

1) Install windows 7 (with minimum 4 drives .. C drive(8 to 10 gb) in which Win7 is allocated ... D (ur data) .. E (ur data)...F (empty) ... well we are installing ubuntu in last drive so i said F empty .. by the way you can keep D or E empty too)
    2) Insert ubuntu disk
    3) Once installation starts it will ask i) Install Linux alongwith Windows ii) Replace Windows with Linux iii)Something else
    4) Click "something else" & press forward button
    5) After that you will see hard disk partition. I installed ubuntu in my Fourth partition (Disk0 Partition4)
    6) First press "add" button .. you will see create partition box in that go to mount point place ... select /boot give 2000MB (depends upon your drive space availability) .. same as do for /home 2000MB, /tem 2000MB, /user 8000MB (More the user space it will be better), /var 2000MB, /srv 2000MB, /opt 2000MB & /usr/local 2000MB.

Now very important step
    7)How to give "SWAP AREA" ...For that go in "Use as" - place by default you will see "Ext4 journaling file system" ... press on "down mark" you will see 11th option & from bottom 2nd option "SWAP AREA" .. just press on it.
    Give 2 times your RAM size .... I have 4 GB ,so I gave 8192MB to "SWAP AREA".
    8)After giving SWAP AREA ... allocate remaining space to "/"(This is called root).
    9) Press "Install Now" button.

After full installation .. reboot & you will see GRUB with ubuntu, ubuntu recovery mode, Windows 7...
    Enjoy ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    Did you check that ubuntu is installed using windows live cd?
  • yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    Reya
    Did you check that ubuntu is installed using windows live cd?
    The only mistake #-Link-Snipped-# did is by not allocating SWAP AREA. He was just too close to success ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    BetterThanBefore
    MBR is not my thing , so i do almost everything from partitioning to allocating space manually .. below are the steps ..

1) Install windows 7 (with minimum 4 drives .. C drive(8 to 10 gb) in which Win7 is allocated ... D (ur data) .. E (ur data)...F (empty) ... well we are installing ubuntu in last drive so i said F empty .. by the way you can keep D or E empty too)
    2) Insert ubuntu disk
    3) Once installation starts it will ask i) Install Linux alongwith Windows ii) Replace Windows with Linux iii)Something else
    4) Click "something else" & press forward button
    5) After that you will see hard disk partition. I installed ubuntu in my Fourth partition (Disk0 Partition4)
    6) First press "add" button .. you will see create partition box in that go to mount point place ... select /boot give 2000MB (depends upon your drive space availability) .. same as do for /home 2000MB, /tem 2000MB, /user 8000MB (More the user space it will be better), /var 2000MB, /srv 2000MB, /opt 2000MB & /usr/local 2000MB.

Now very important step
    7)How to give "SWAP AREA" ...For that go in "Use as" - place by default you will see "Ext4 journaling file system" ... press on "down mark" you will see 11th option & from bottom 2nd option "SWAP AREA" .. just press on it.
    Give 2 times your RAM size .... I have 4 GB ,so I gave 8192MB to "SWAP AREA".
    8)After giving SWAP AREA ... allocate remaining space to "/"(This is called root).
    9) Press "Install Now" button.

After full installation .. reboot & you will see GRUB with ubuntu, ubuntu recovery mode, Windows 7...
    Enjoy ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks! It works ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Need this again so bumping this thread. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Need this again so bumping this thread. ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-# How To Dual-Boot Windows & Any Linux OS (With Pictures).
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# How To Dual-Boot Windows & Any Linux OS (With Pictures).

I've got a different issue now. I've a Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop version ( 32 bit ) and earlier it was working well in my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. But once I've changed my laptop to Sony Vaio SCE14A15 model, I'm have this problem of dual booting along side Windows.

There are 2 options for booting in Sony Vaio -
    1. UEFI Mode and
    2. Legacy Mode,

and I've checked the net for some answers.

Apparently, my Windows 7 (Home Premium) loads using UEFI boot mode, and Ubuntu (i guess) loads from Legacy Mode. This I understand is due to a fact called as Secure Booting (I'm unaware of further details).

How should I deal with this situation? #-Link-Snipped-# they have mentioned many options, but I'm a bit confused whether I should just stick to plain old Virtual Box or do a dual boot.

Update: Looks like 64 bit could do the trick, but first I've got to download the latest Ubuntu version.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
    Use the above software
    Always keeps bootloader for ubuntu, I have windows 8 and bootloader set to ubuntu, only problem here is if bootloader for ubuntu fails then its shows grub rescue message and windows also doesn't boots up at that time i use windows 8 dvd, run in advanced option, cmd type bootrec/fixboot and fixmbr, it boots windows 8 and then again install ubuntu.
    Here you may have to boot from windows xp cd and try repairing the windows installation , press r and type chkdsk/r.
  • pradeep.pawar
    pradeep.pawar
    Gnu Grub
    Check the source

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would like to know more about doing MBA by distance education. Currently I am doing my final year of engineering. As i have already got placed and not interested...
Hi Guys, This is GGI from India. I have recently joined this forum. I am here just to say hello and welcome to all of you.
Have you noticed that we've crossed 44k discussions on CE Forums? ๐Ÿ˜ We're also closer to 200k posts on CE. It's all up to you how fast we can achieve...
My dad brought a solar lamp today. the seller said it would give a backup of 3 hours. will give a complete review in a week so that people can...
Nokia has just launched a video teaser of 'something'. Watch the video and guess what it is.