problem with basics???

what if i connect the positive of source to one terrminal of bulb and
literally put the negative terminals of the source and bulb in ground ...
wil the bulb glow??
if no then what does concept of ground denotes literally??

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For the configuration you've posted, the bulb won't glow as there's no way for the electricity to flow through the bulb's coil. The current won't flow until the circuit is completed.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    no. the bulb will not glow as the flow of electrons is completely directed to the earth...Ground or earthing is meant for teh protection of the user..suppose the live wire comes in contact with the body of the appliance. this is hazardous as the user may suffer from a heavy electric shock if he happens to touch the body..in order to avoid this, the body is grounded i.e. a conductor like aluminium is connected to the body and taken to the ground or the earth. this is teh concept of ground.
  • Avishkar Gote
    Avishkar Gote
    for your configaration current will not flow through the circuit as circuit does not complete. means no flow of electron through the circuit.Grouund helps in saving of operator from severe shock.
  • Avishkar Gote
    Avishkar Gote
    😎Success can not be acheived it has to be attend !!!
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    raaj90
    what if i connect the positive of source to one terrminal of bulb and
    literally put the negative terminals of the source and bulb in ground ...
    wil the bulb glow??
    if no then what does concept of ground denotes literally??
    As you said literally, then the answer would be yes the current will flow and the bulb will glow.
  • raaj90
    raaj90
    bt the above ideas seem to contradictory...bcoz i think the bulb should glow..reason??....dont we get shock if i touch the positive of our ac mains..we get a massive shock because current flows to ground (i.e earth )thru my body ...then y not in case of that fellow bulb ????
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Yes you are right all we needed is to create a voltage difference to let the current flow. Here if you put the negative terminal at ground it will attain zero potential and it is same at the bulb's one terminal. Now if the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the other terminal of the bulb with enough potential difference, that is required to glow the bulb then sure it will work. The fact behind is that earth is considered as almost pure conductor that's why in many country's like Australia they implemented single wire earth return system(SWERS). In SWERS we can transmit power through single wire using earth as ground. Also to transmit power to islands like Andaman we are using single wire system with sea as return.

raaj90
    bt the above ideas seem to contradictory...bcoz i think the bulb should glow..reason??....dont we get shock if i touch the positive of our ac mains..we get a massive shock because current flows to ground (i.e earth )thru my body ...then y not in case of that fellow bulb ????
  • raaj90
    raaj90
    bt again i did it with the bulb n it didnt glow with aaa size battery n zero watt bulbs??(i connected +ve to bulb -ve of battery n bulb to touch the grnd)
    ??why arent india applying single wire concept?
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Single Wire Earth Return

In India they implemented SWERS for power transmission to Andaman using sea as return. This system is used where the cost is to be reduced but we get only the low quality power.
    raaj90
    bt again i did it with the bulb n it didnt glow with aaa size battery n zero watt bulbs??(i connected +ve to bulb -ve of battery n bulb to touch the grnd)
    ??why arent india applying single wire concept?
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    It is literally possible in this bulb case. Voltage is a differential quantity. To measure the voltage of a single point, a reference point must be selected to measure against. This common reference point is called "ground" and considered to have zero voltage. This signal ground may not actually be connected to a power ground. A system where the system ground is not actually connected to another circuit or to earth (though there may still be AC coupling) is often referred to as a floating ground.

praba230890
    Yes you are right all we needed is to create a voltage difference to let the current flow. Here if you put the negative terminal at ground it will attain zero potential and it is same at the bulb's one terminal. Now if the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the other terminal of the bulb with enough potential difference, that is required to glow the bulb then sure it will work. The fact behind is that earth is considered as almost pure conductor that's why in many country's like Australia they implemented single wire earth return system(SWERS). In SWERS we can transmit power through single wire using earth as ground. Also to transmit power to islands like Andaman we are using single wire system with sea as return.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indha Ulagathil Enakkoru Mugavari Thandhaval...! (The one who gave me an address in this world) Uyir Koduthu en Udal Valarthaval...! (The one who gave me life and growth) Kanneer Sindhum...
Was browsing and just by chance, came through this!!! Do check it out... Worth a read... A Contact Lens Interface ​Millions of people use contact lenses daily with comfort and...
hey guys, I often wonder to see this "To:undisclosed recipients" in email header sometimes.Mostly, when you get a SPAM. What does this mean ? Does this mean the sender has...
Hello friends, Here we will write/ share about entrepreneurs around/ far away from us. This thread is meant for those who wish to know about them. please contribute the one's...
hey guys.. Pls help me out in designing a Modular fixture with all necessary calculations....