Problem on suspension bridges

hi all..I am a student of 2nd yr.
I am working on a project where I need to build a model suspension bridge.

The length of the suspension bridge has to be 1000mm (1m), the portion of the deck between the two towers is 700mm (.7m).

The height of the deck from the ground is 200mm (.2m). I wanna know what should be the height of the tower above the deck to keep it most stable.

The bridge would be loaded with point loads varying from 10kgs to 20kgs.
These point loads would be loaded one at a time with each going through the length of the bridge.

The material to be used is ice-cream sticks(popstickle sticks) only.

I would be highly obliged with a speedy reply, i.e the formula.
Thank you.

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Re: suspension bridges.

I am so sorry, but we are not going to spoon feed you. To search for the formulas and basic theory there are things called 'Textbooks'. If you want to get more detail about your subject then there is a place called 'The Library'.
  • ekbhavesh14
    ekbhavesh14
    thank you for ur reply sir.
    but i did search for it in text books and the net too, and the results i came to know was, that the main suspension cable takes the shape of a parabola once tension starts acting on it.
    thus i'll have to derive the eqn of the parabola so formed.
    but sir since i have to submit an abstract for my project, i was looking forward for some kind of formulae(if any) so as to put it in there.
    more over i am in middle of my exams and i dont wish any of my project or my exams to take a beating due to the other.
    please if you can help me..
    thank you once again.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Try a internet search of "suspension bridge formula" or "suspension bridge tower height formula".

read "A practical treatise on suspension bridges: their design, construction & erection" by D B Steinman

Also, more important you first need to determine the deck load as this is the major load of any suspension cable. Cables need to be a parabolic curve so input your info into that formula will dictate your tower height after load, span distance, cable height to deck, etc. are determined. You should be able to get the rest from there... It's tough balancing exam & projects, been there, but you can do it! don't give up or cut corners.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i would like to get some ideas on projects in the field of vlsi or robotics or even wireless for the final year. the project completion must not take long...
i would like to know the circut setup and the software involved to make a mobile work as a remote😒
can anyone suggest me topic for my final year project? i cant think of any topics that are really good and innovative...... i am comfortable in c++ and java.... please...
CEans, A great number of our CEans appeared for CAT and other exams. Step II of the admission process involves GD & PI. I have following tips for people preparing...
hello friends, i hav a doubt relating to my main project..im doing it for a hospital and it is doing fractal image compression in a grid..so the images are stored...