Problem: Law of Parallelogram of Forces [Help me]

I'm solving some problems based on law of parallelogram of forces. I completely understand the concept and how to prove that ๐Ÿ˜€ But I've one silly question, look at problem and please suggest me, how to choose the forces as P and Q?

problem: Given two forces of magnitude 10kN and 20kN, are having a resultant of 15kN. Find the angle between two forces and the direction of the resultant ๐Ÿ˜€

We know the formula:
for resultant direction:

A (alpha) = tan^-1 ((P sin @) / (P cos @ + Q))

But if we chose wrong "P" and "Q" then we won't get the correct answer!

My question is: In the book, the writer assigned 20kN to "P" and 10kN to "Q"

But if I take P = 10kN and Q = 20kN then the answer will be different,

How do I decide which is "P" force and which one is "Q" force? ๐Ÿ˜€

Please help ๐Ÿ˜”

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    larger force is given to P as it causes the most impact in any point acted by two forces
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    jeffrey samuel
    larger force is given to P as it causes the most impact in any point acted by two forces
    Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€ I'll take larger force as "P" ๐Ÿ˜€

One more question, the formula for magnitude of resultant R is:

R^2 = P^2 + Q^2 + 2PQ cos @

But what if "Q" = "P" ?
    in the book, I can see that if P = Q then R^2 = P^2 + P^2 - 2P^2 cos @

I didn't get it, what is the reason that makes the 2P^2 negative ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What is the angle between the two forces in concern it does not arbitrarily become negative do refer other sources also

Kindly clarify me in this about the angle between the two forces if it is greater than 90 then the negative sign will come
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    jeffrey samuel
    What is the angle between the two forces in concern it does not arbitrarily become negative do refer other sources also

Kindly clarify me in this about the angle between the two forces if it is greater than 90 then the negative sign will come

Here is the problem: Two forces act at an angle of 60, their resultant is 50 N acting at 30 with one of the forces, find the value of forces.

It's little complicated, but in the end we get P = Q, and that formula of magnitude changed ๐Ÿ˜• I hope you've solution ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I have very less touch in these problems now but I can try it out if you tell what is 30 here bit confused in it ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    ErAnushka
    Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€ I'll take larger force as "P" ๐Ÿ˜€

One more question, the formula for magnitude of resultant R is:

R^2 = P^2 + Q^2 + 2PQ cos @

But what if "Q" = "P" ?
    in the book, I can see that if P = Q then R^2 = P^2 + P^2 - 2P^2 cos @

I didn't get it, what is the reason that makes the 2P^2 negative ๐Ÿ˜•
    Its a printing mistake the sign is always positive no matter what the angle.
    if the angle is 180 and both forces are equal the resultant comes out zero.
    ErAnushka
    I'm solving some problems based on law of parallelogram of forces. I completely understand the concept and how to prove that ๐Ÿ˜€ But I've one silly question, look at problem and please suggest me, how to choose the forces as P and Q?

problem: Given two forces of magnitude 10kN and 20kN, are having a resultant of 15kN. Find the angle between two forces and the direction of the resultant ๐Ÿ˜€

We know the formula:
    for resultant direction:

A (alpha) = tan^-1 ((P sin @) / (P cos @ + Q))

But if we chose wrong "P" and "Q" then we won't get the correct answer!

My question is: In the book, the writer assigned 20kN to "P" and 10kN to "Q"

But if I take P = 10kN and Q = 20kN then the answer will be different,

How do I decide which is "P" force and which one is "Q" force? ๐Ÿ˜€

Please help ๐Ÿ˜”
    The resultant makes angle with both 'P' and 'Q'.
    If you choose 20kN as 'P', you'll get the angle between 20kN force and resultant 'R' (alpha).
    If you choose 10kN as 'P', you'll get angle between 10kN force and the resultant which will be equal to (@-alpha).
    Hope this helps.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks but still I'm confused ๐Ÿ˜•

Please check this screenshot (sorry for the bad quality, I captured without light):
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Saiwal
    The resultant makes angle with both 'P' and 'Q'.
    If you choose 20kN as 'P', you'll get the angle between 20kN force and resultant 'R' (alpha).
    If you choose 10kN as 'P', you'll get angle between 10kN force and the resultant which will be equal to (@-alpha).
    Hope this helps.

@ - Alpha, doesn't work ๐Ÿ˜”

You can try it:

P = 20kN,
    Q = 10kN,
    (Resultant) R = 15kN,

Formula to find A (alpha) = tan^-1 ((P sin @) / (P cos @ + Q))

You can also check in screenshot ๐Ÿ˜€

Now the answer will be -75.53, but we need positive angle with respect to x-axis so we take 180 - 75.53 = 104.48 ๐Ÿ˜€

Now, if we take :
    P = 10kN,
    Q = 20kN,
    (Resultant) R = 15kN,

The answer will be different! I got 49.28 ๐Ÿ˜จ

as per your instructions: 180 - 49.28 = 130.72 ๐Ÿ˜”

I think the larger force is assigned to P and less force is assigned to Q, not sure though. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    ErAnushka
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks but still I'm confused ๐Ÿ˜•

Please check this screenshot (sorry for the bad quality, I captured without light):
    [โ€‹IMG]
    the value of P is 28.868kN
    there is no way that two forces at 60 deg result in another 50kN resultant. that's just plain wrong.
    will post answer to your other question shortly ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Saiwal
    the value of P is 28.868kN
    there is no way that two forces at 60 deg result in another 50kN resultant. that's just plain wrong.
    will post answer to your other question shortly ๐Ÿ˜€

Okay, and I got the same answer ^_^
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    ErAnushka
    @ - Alpha, doesn't work ๐Ÿ˜”

You can try it:

P = 20kN,
    Q = 10kN,
    (Resultant) R = 15kN,

You can also check in screenshot ๐Ÿ˜€

Now the answer will be -75.53, but we need positive angle with respect to x-axis so we take 180 - 75.53 = 104.48 ๐Ÿ˜€

Now, if we take :
    P = 10kN,
    Q = 20kN,
    (Resultant) R = 15kN,

The answer will be different! I got 49.28 ๐Ÿ˜จ

as per your instructions: 180 - 49.28 = 130.72 ๐Ÿ˜”

I think the larger force is assigned to P and less force is assigned to Q, not sure though. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
    here's the solution:
    hope it helps
    [โ€‹IMG]

๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Patent Analysis Management System portal https://ict-ipr.cdac.in, a single window interface for all Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) related activities in the ICT Sector, is getting very popular with researchers, academia...
How can I know which company offers implant training and When?How to approach?
i have gone through so many research papers but i didn't find that any paper on abrasive water jet cutting of High carbon steel. can we cut High carbon steel...
Hello Everyone, Can anyone explain me that what is crystal report, why it is used and where can i find crystal report viewer i see in my toolbox there is...
i want various subject wise questions to prepare 4 gate