CrazyEngineers
  • Hi friends. I am doing a project on "Performance test on single cylinder diesel engine fuelled with Neem biodiesel"
    I had started the process of extraction of biodiesel from Neem oil using transestrification.
    I followed the procedure as below:
    1) Heated Neem oil to 110 degree celcius to remove any water content.
    2) Allow it to cool and when it reach 45-55 degree , Add a solution of (Methanol+NaOH pellets) and transfer the solution to a bottle.
    3) Allow it to settle for 24 hrs
    4) But I got a resultant product where all solution turned like a soap bar.
    What have I made wrong in this?
    2014-03-03 18.05.15

@#-Link-Snipped-#
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 3, 2014

That is how soaps are made!
    My feeling is that too much Sodium Hydroxide was used. This converts all the fat to the sodium salt, which is soap.

Study this;
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberMar 3, 2014

Dude you needn't take the trouble to do the esterification process yourself.

I did a similar project during my final semester, with the exception that we used pongamia biodiesel.

we did not do the esterification process ourselves, but we purchased the biodiesel directly from the factory, where it was being esterified, and then continued the rest of the project ourselves.
    Cancel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran

MemberMar 3, 2014

But where can we buy biodiesel?
    I had submitted topic as biodiesel from neem oil.
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberMar 3, 2014

I purchased our biodiesel from bannari amman near sathyamangalam. this source we found after a tiring search on google.com

you better do the same and find out where they are making the neem biodiesel.
    Cancel

MemberMar 4, 2014

zaveri
    I purchased our biodiesel from bannari amman near sathyamangalam. this source we found after a tiring search on google.com

Thanks for info.Do you mean Bannari amman institute college or any other firm?
    Cancel

MemberMar 4, 2014

zaveri

Do you mean " M/s. Bannariamman Sugars "
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberMar 4, 2014

SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Do you mean " M/s. Bannariamman Sugars "

Yes that is exactly the one !
    Cancel

MemberMar 4, 2014

zaveri
    Yes that is exactly the one !
    Thanks a lot bro for the help.Will updatw after the progresd of my project.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register