Prevention from DDOS attack

DDOS attack is one of the most deadly attack

It has many categorizes like ping of death,smurf attack etc

among all Zombie is one of the most deadliest attack, that can even force you to shutdown your server

Let us discuss various preventive or control measures that can be done when encounter any such attack on your server

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, the recent attack on Wordpress was DDOS from China. I believe Firewall is the best way to protect DDOS attacks. But how many here really know about what a DDOS attack is? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    For those who don't know about DDOS attack

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    In simple words, we can say a DDOS attack is blocking a service from servicing its clients, by following ways:
    1. Not allowing to resolve (DNS Poisoning).
    2. Giving more traffic and making it difficult for others to use it.
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Hey goyal Nice thread!! I guess this prevention issue was already discussed in CE Here is the link for your reference guys!! : #-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#

-Arvind
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    One of the well known and very common form of DOS is done by the ' ping' command. The protocol ( ICMP) is disbaled on most of the computers for the same reason. Though a 'ping' packet can be typically small, heavy flodding of ping packets can bring the server down as the servers resources are consumed in responding to the heavy inflow of ICMp requests.
    durga
    One of the well known and very common form of DOS is done by the ' ping' command. The protocol ( ICMP) is disbaled on most of the computers for the same reason. Though a 'ping' packet can be typically small, heavy flodding of ping packets can bring the server down as the servers resources are consumed in responding to the heavy inflow of ICMp requests.
    But still we can use ping google.com stuff right? But seriously I didn't know that ICMP Ping can cause DDOS... By the way, what is Ping of Death?
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    praveenscience
    But still we can use ping google.com stuff right? But seriously I didn't know that ICMP Ping can cause DDOS... By the way, what is Ping of Death?
    Hey buddy Durga is right that's mostly how DDOS are performed (I have written a DDoS program by using ping) what we do is normally when you use the ping command it pings a constant packet of data to the server and tries to get a response with out loss of data but when you increase the size of the amount of data (that's the packet size) it obliviously consumes a lot of bandwidth of the host resulting in denial of services for others......

-Arvind
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ping of death almost refers to same, only that a larger chunk of ICMp packet is deleiberately sent to bring down the receiver.
    DDOS has nothing to do with the example I will mention, but I am correlating both. You must have heard of broadcast stroms right? Where a host on a switched network sends a message and in the end screw up the whole swicthed network as 1 either STP is not enabled or host is not found. ??! That one single BC packet, ends up going in rounds on whole network and eating up the Bandwidth, thus bringing the whole network down

hmm, as far as your question regarding google is concerned, there should be a mechanism to avoid such continuous stream of ICMp requests benign sent down. Sometimes ICMP is enlisted in the ACLs itself to avoid any intermediate network to trasnport the packets.
    Right now I am using my Windows XP System and it runs three servers in it... Two application and one database. Will the ICMP Requests be disabled? If so, how to check the status. But I am damn sure that my port 80 is blocked and another port where my second app server runs is not blocked. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm, I myself did not try out this but thought the link might help you , ( just to suffix the discussion going on)

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Hey thanx... Not applicable for Windows XP SP3... ๐Ÿ˜€ So I guess I have to figure it out on my own to block ICMP Requests... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    just guessing, but can it be that the protool is defaultedly blocked or something?
    durga
    just guessing, but can it be that the protool is defaultedly blocked or something?
    May be I have to use third party tools for that! ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

well we all know to do something and to understand something are two different things Daily we have lot of discussion on ce about various topics like education system,corruption etc...
The Big Dig project in Boston is one heck of an interesting projects Civil and Structural engineers can follow. Here's more information about it - Big Dig - Wikipedia, the...
Guys how about making a video that will show effects of global warming if it is not controlled by now The main aim of this video will be to create...
Which movies do all our Indian engineers think are the most awaited Bollywood movies of year 2011? PS: I'm not at all movie buff. But just curious to know whether...
This thread is for all the freshers who've gotten offer letters from Wipro Technologies. Share your story and also tell us which center you're joining for the initial training. Let's...