Power supply in numerical relay

Hi All,

I am confused with the supply of power in case of numerical relay and how it is related with smps power supply?

Replies

• freak16
    freak16
    Is numerical relay a digital relay? What is it? what is its purpose?
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    No, numerical relay cannot be certainly digital. Here, I mean that it is based on microprocessor technology. It is basically a type of relay and serves in various purpose in power system protection.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    It is just for protection of the equipment from dangerous power by using a microcontroller, checking for the input power... Hey, it is digital, why Vibhor, you said it as not digital???
  • vikeshrajan
    vikeshrajan
    @Praveen:Give brief detail
    The numeric relay or digital protective relay, is a protective relay used in Electrical and Electronic circuits. It has a microprocessor with software installed to analyse the voltages for detecting the faults in the power systems. Best use can be found in your day to day stuffs like SMPS in computer.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    praveen you said correct, but I am confused with power being given to numerical relay is ac or dc. Is there any conversion ac to dc? If it is so, then what is the reason for this conversion...I hope that you can understand my question now...
    vibhor_one
    praveen you said correct, but I am confused with power being given to numerical relay is ac or dc. Is there any conversion ac to dc? If it is so, then what is the reason for this conversion...I hope that you can understand my question now...
    Hey, analog-to-digital conversion will take place. This is because, the microcontroller understands only digital input and the AC would be converted into DC and analysed. It is done by a set of rectifiers. Hope this answers your question... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • frodo.rok
    frodo.rok
    there are plenty of numerical relays available in market.

every one of them is different in there mechanism and purpose so it will be vague to answere this question unless one knows the make, type, sl no etc of the numerical relay.

numerical relays can be fed with ac.

normaly there are 3 or 4 elements for sensing of fault is used in this relays.

the supply it can get from current transformers(class p).

for lv it can be directly coupled.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    thanks for replying, I have got my answer. Thanks Praveen and frodo.rok...
    vibhor_one
    thanks for replying, I have got my answer. Thanks Praveen and frodo.rok...
    Pleasure is ours... By the way, are you working on something which uses relays??? Mind sharing it here???
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    no just studying the technolgy...
    vibhor_one
    no just studying the technolgy...
    Nice, all the best! ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OK,I'm new here and this is my very 1st post;. .I want some ideas from you guys about a project with wireless sensor networks..And it has already begun with a...
I know.We Engineers read 40+ Subjects and Each subject has more than 2 reference books. So You need to buy 80+ books in 4 year engineering service which appears a...
What is the minimum intensity of light that a photo diode can detect? and how long can the light be kept for sensing it?
๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’ hi i have following question which i would love to learn in detail Emp ( empno,ename,hiredate,job,salary) 95% of job sal lies between 40000-45000 how can index on one field...
Hello everybody. I would appreciate your help in something I have been thinking all day (and now I am doing an allnighter, without result ) Please take a look at...