Power saving techniques for laptops / desktops

CEans,

I've been wondering if there are better power saving techniques for laptops / desktops. I've been thinking about it ever since DELL introduced its 19 hr battery life laptop! Some inspiron model, I guess.

I look forward to responses from CEans who are involved in computer/laptop hardware design. Anyone?

Replies

• sriramchandrk
    sriramchandrk
    If you are expecting how to save power in current laptops and desktops
    - use hybernations
    - proper goto standby mode and hard disk swithoff values

If you want answer on technology front then i guess
    -Screens designed using bio technology (which consumes less energy).
    -Hardisks flash based (without mechanical devices) and at same time small formfactor.
    -Screen integrated into spects (you wear the spect's and the image is drawn directly onto your retina!) the rest of cpu/secondary storage etc., into your pocket.
    -Cooling of CPU using reverse seeback effect ( use of thermocouples)
    -Lot of space still present in battery R&D.

May be i am not correct, but logically i feel these are few points to note.

Comments invited!

Thanks & Regards
    Sriram
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I meant, power saving on the design front - any ideas?
  • sriramchandrk
    sriramchandrk
    No idea 😔
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    Following precise steps could be maintained for better battery life of your laptops - YourTechMate.Blogspot.com

1. Adjust LCD screen brightness of your laptop to minimum but comfirtable levels required. Screen display is probably one of the most power consuming part of your laptop

2. Avoid Fragments in your hard-disk. Defragmenting will speed up your computer. How ? less hard disk seek time, less number of harddisk rotations, less number of battery amount consumed

3. Close not required apps, Nowadays being the handsome configuration of our laptops, we tends to ignore the number of apps that are on concurrently.Without noticing its drawback. Drawback here is , More RAM consumed, more chances of MEMORY PAGING FROM secondary and Primary memory. More virtual storage required,and ultimately more hard disk rotaions, need not say here, more battery consumption.

4. Avoid heavy animation screensavers usage

5. Switch off Bluetooth and Wifi devices on your laptop when not required. These devices when on keeps on working and searching for any neighbour networks or signals.Thus consumes battery power.
    6.Movie songs video jpeg dumps. Ever wondered the burden of storing everything we got on our laptops. After a span of bare 6 months every body on planet starts feeling the pinch of Slow laptop processing despite of having the most handsome configuration, My friend, the reason here is, Even if 60% of your hard disk resources are filled up with some data, which we might not even visit again or chances are that the data is redundant as well. This heavily increases Disk latency and seek time and thus increases battery power consumptions.

7. Once a month discharge the laptop battery completely and then recharge the battery completely. This definitely improves battery performance on long run

8. Avoid Overcharging of Laptops.

Many more similar points you can find on my blog
    YourTechMate.blogspot.com
    Comments by: YourTechMate.blogspot.com
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    TechMate: Thanks for the tips. I, however, am looking at the techniques that can be deployed at the design level!
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    The_Big_K
    TechMate: Thanks for the tips. I, however, am looking at the techniques that can be deployed at the design level!

Hey Big_K, Yepp probably my interpretation of the topic was not appropriate, But it will still be usefull for someone arround. Now, when i got the reall idea behind, this sounds very interesting to me. R you somehow related to designing electronics. If yes, thats amazing.

One of the craziest idea I am getting right now is , On the back side of the laptop LCD screen why cant some high performance Solar cells be attached, so whenver someone is working, obviously there would be light arround, that will contineously charging the laptop battery. may be just another 5 %, but hey, its worth implementation right ?

YourTechMate.Blogspot.com
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    Hey, one more crazy idea, If anyhow we can trap the KEYPRESSED Kinetic energy and use it to recharge laptop battery, even that would be very usefull, What say.

Kinetic engery to electric energy [Battery rechaged]

YourTechMate.blogspot.com
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    YourTechMate
    Hey Big_K, Yepp probably my interpretation of the topic was not appropriate, But it will still be usefull for someone arround. Now, when i got the reall idea behind, this sounds very interesting to me. R you somehow related to designing electronics. If yes, thats amazing.

One of the craziest idea I am getting right now is , On the back side of the laptop LCD screen why cant some high performance Solar cells be attached, so whenver someone is working, obviously there would be light arround, that will contineously charging the laptop battery. may be just another 5 %, but hey, its worth implementation right ?

YourTechMate.Blogspot.com
    You should consider participating in our Innovator Contest. Check announcements for details!
  • ragavendra31
    ragavendra31
    there are ways like power saving mode and hibernations or also Cooling of CPU using reverse seeback effect.you can go for any of the above techniques.
    ----------
    ragavendra

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • yasir n j
    yasir n j
    i wanna wonder all the tips which i read now....but my idea is to develop the battery which will have high charging capacity through implementing the renowned algorithm in battery.....for atleat 10 to 15%...it is possible to design..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Algorithm in battery? Could you please explain?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    why not minimise the sage of laptops...thats a great power saving technique

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I keep on getting lots of interesting queries in my mailbox. One of the college students asked me about pointers and I think we'd better discuss the topic on...
hello.. Can some body give me some idea bout PBGA,how it function,how its made,how its work? thanks lot...
This thread is outcome of one of the ideas we discussed during the CE Meet - Mumbai. I'm not too sure, if this is allowed. But can our members who...
I know this is not related to engineering, but I couldn't help but post it on the forum. Sourav 'Dada' Ganguly has decided to retire. Its actually a bit of...
I want to pose the question to all wannabe entrepreneurs and also to all entrepreneurs! "Why become an entrepreneur?" ... Because being an entrepreneur is cool? Because your day-job sucks?...