power quality improvement

How power quality is improved using renewable energy?

Replies

• praba230890
    praba230890
    Power quality mainly degrades by the line losses and some other faults. If we install renewable based power generators all over the country then these faults and line losses can be compensated through these renewable energy. I posted a blog post (Green it......: IMPACT OF RENEWABLE(DISTRIBUTED GENERATION) ENERGY IN POWER QUALITY IMPROVEMENT) about this after seeing this thread. Check that for more info.

Archu_cool
    How power quality is improved using renewable energy?
  • Archu_cool
    Archu_cool
    praba230890
    Power quality mainly degrades by the line losses and some other faults. If we install renewable based power generators all over the country then these faults and line losses can be compensated through these renewable energy. I posted a blog post (Green it......: IMPACT OF RENEWABLE(DISTRIBUTED GENERATION) ENERGY IN POWER QUALITY IMPROVEMENT) about this after seeing this thread. Check that for more info.
    Thank you very much for your answer 😀
    can you provide some technical details.. that is how to implement and to use which technology??
    What about APC(Active Power Conditioning)?? Will that be useful??

Thanks😀
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    I don't know what technical details you are expecting Archu but i tried to give you some.
    Giving a quality power is not an easy thing. Taking care of undervoltage, interruption, sag, dip, noise, harmonics, notching, swell, transients and everything else can only assure a quality power.
    From my point of view power quality gets damaged due to two things - Transmission and Load.

To say it simply we are unable to get the exact power that is send from the generating station at the consumer end(i mean same voltage, current, frequency and exact wave shape) due to transmission. Also the non-linear loads and highly inductive loads causes power quality problems.

The solar or wind power generators(any distributed generating station) situated near a consumer side helps to overcome voltage and current disturbances and improve the power quality by compensating the reactive and harmonic power generated or absorbed by the load. Also these generating stations can supply the nearby regions when there is some faults in feeder or something from centralized station as i said before.

Again to say it simply... we are going to restore the exact power supplied from the sending end at receiving end using renewable energy.

This can be achieved using custom power devices like STATCOM(shunt active filters), DVR(series active filters), UPQC(combination of shunt and series active filters).

STATCOM is designed for pf correction, current harmonics filtering and load balancing.

DVR is designed to protect sensitive loads from supply side disturbances and vice versa.

UPQC is designed to cover large number of power quality problems.

Archu_cool
    Thank you very much for your answer 😀
    can you provide some technical details.. that is how to implement and to use which technology??
    What about APC(Active Power Conditioning)?? Will that be useful??

Thanks😀
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    praba230890
    I don't know what technical details you are expecting Archu but i tried to give you some.
    Giving a quality power is not an easy thing. Taking care of undervoltage, interruption, sag, dip, noise, harmonics, notching, swell, transients and everything else can only assure a quality power.
    From my point of view power quality gets damaged due to two things - Transmission and Load.

To say it simply we are unable to get the exact power that is send from the generating station at the consumer end(i mean same voltage, current, frequency and exact wave shape) due to transmission. Also the non-linear loads and highly inductive loads causes power quality problems.

The solar or wind power generators(any distributed generating station) situated near a consumer side helps to overcome voltage and current disturbances and improve the power quality by compensating the reactive and harmonic power generated or absorbed by the load. Also these generating stations can supply the nearby regions when there is some faults in feeder or something from centralized station as i said before.

Again to say it simply... we are going to restore the exact power supplied from the sending end at receiving end using renewable energy.

This can be achieved using custom power devices like STATCOM(shunt active filters), DVR(series active filters), UPQC(combination of shunt and series active filters).

STATCOM is designed for pf correction, current harmonics filtering and load balancing.

DVR is designed to protect sensitive loads from supply side disturbances and vice versa.

UPQC is designed to cover large number of power quality problems.
    yes thats nice praba i have another doubt i think only unbalance load is not a problem the regenarative action of loads also cause these problems am i correct
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Yeah your are right narayana murthy. The regeneration will degrade the power quality if not handled properly. But if you handle it properly you can further improve the power quality using regeneration.
    narayana murthy
    yes thats nice praba i have another doubt i think only unbalance load is not a problem the regenarative action of loads also cause these problems am i correct
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    praba230890
    Yeah your are right narayana murthy. The regeneration will degrade the power quality if not handled properly. But if you handle it properly you can further improve the power quality using regeneration.
    then i got a doubt why we are wasting those power by capacitor bags
    why can't the supply lines has two way sending and receiving lines and use that power as a feedback to the network
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    Sorry for the late reply...
    Yeah we can do so and currently in U.S and some other countries they are implementing along with smart meters/smart grids. As you know the fact "we get the technology that U.S having, only after 10-15 yrs".

narayana murthy
    then i got a doubt why we are wasting those power by capacitor bags
    why can't the supply lines has two way sending and receiving lines and use that power as a feedback to the network
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    mmmmm that may be true thanks for your valuable information praba

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is for sharing your musical creativity of all sorts from lyrics to songs, etc. I would like to share my first Symphony. It is the most complex piece...
This discussion thread is an outcome of following postings made by CEan ProdigiousJ: ProdigiousJ: Good day guy-friends and girl-friends* ProdigiousJ: I want to learn Brail sometime. With Brail you can...
Hai please help me out with UNIX start-up.Im in initial stage so its abit complicated to understand.So can you help me out with this.
Let's face it: Typical resumes are boring. It's very boring to look at candidate's profile printed in black and white that's got the most common elements. It starts with your...
Lecture Series on Robotics by Prof. P.Seshu, Department of Mechanical Engineering,IIT Bombay.