Power plant engg discussion

to all ceans, though we are electrical engineer and this subject seem to be related to mechanical ones but we are also going to place in power plants(NTPC,BHEL,etc)
so we must discuss this.
here i start discussing first thermal power plant then gas,hydro,diesel,nuclear. i only know these.please guys, share your knowledge also. for rest power plants i'm overjoyed to learn from you.
whereever you guys thing, the point need to be elaborated, write. if i know, i'll definitely elaborate.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Good Thread.

Can you post some more detail about Nuclear Power Plant and i also come to know about something Plasma Plant for Power Generation. Whats that?
  • Arp
    Arp
    thermal power plant is based on rankine cycle. ideally it should be on carnot cycle but because of the practical limitations of the carnot cycle like-
    1) termination of condensation process at such a point from where if we compress it using pump then we should reach the saturation liquid condition(temperature and a fixed point on curve). so fine control is very difficult to get
    2) cavitation problem as when e compress ideally, we've steam and water at condense output so if we compress then specific volume which steam has is much higher then what water has so after compression lot of cavity is created which create cavitation problem and reduce life of pump.
    3) sensible heat addition with infinite pressure gradient is impossible to get.

so we use rankine cycle where we've condensed to full liquid so no cavitation problem and heat addition we also do at variable temp keeping pressure constant which thogh reduce efficiency but is practical
  • Arp
    Arp
    @ godfather sorry i dont know about plasma plant what all i've studied in nuclear is much less so far. you'll start discussion on this topic and perhaps i or some other ce can carry on that discussion.
  • Arp
    Arp
    improvements in rankine cycle

1) increase in steam pressure at boiler inlet
    2) increase in steam temp at turbine inlet
    3) decrease in condenser pressure
    4) reheating
    5) regenration

1) increase in steam pressure
    by this we reduce irreversibilty as temp diff in steam and flue gas decrease
    steam quality at the exit of turbine deteriorate
    net efficiency however reduce
    limitation imposed by metallurgical constraint.

2) done by superheating improve the quality of steam and efficiency as net energy carried by steam at turbine inlet increased.

3) condenser pressure decrease more work turbine produced but limitation imposed by saturation pressure corresponding to theambient temperature of cooling water as cooling water requirement is huge so we cant go for cooling it below ambient temp as it become uneconomical

4) reheating is a way of partially overcoming the temperature limitation imposed by metallurgy. here we first expand steam in hp turbine then send it to reheater for furthur reheating and then expand it furthur in ip or lp turbine.
    to what point we should expand in first turbine is of importance as if we go beyond a point means expand too much in hp turbine then efficiency instead of increasing decrease. at the exit of hp turbine, the pressure shold be 0.3 tiumes that at inlet for maximum efficiency.

5) regeneration- process of heating the fluid with the same fluid at some other temperature. done to approx rankine cycle to ideal.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    godfather
    Good Thread. Can you post some more detail about Nuclear Power Plant and i also come to know about something Plasma Plant for Power Generation. Whats that?
    Plasma plants are supposed to be an eco friendly way of disposing waste by burning it in a plasma arc. The exhaust is supposedly totally clean and the left over will be metals and glass that can be used for other purposes.

I have some misgivings about the economic viability of this. Fortunately it does not have the waste problems of nuclear plants.

Here is an overview of this process:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    bioramani
    Plasma plants are supposed to be an eco friendly way of disposing waste by burning it in a plasma arc. The exhaust is supposedly totally clean and the left over will be metals and glass that can be used for other purposes.

I have some misgivings about the economic viability of this. Fortunately it does not have the waste problems of nuclear plants.

Here is an overview of this process:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Good piece of information Ramani Sir.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    let us start off from the basics people. let us first start from the terms related to power generation and power plant.
    these are load factor, demand factor, plant use factor, plant capacity factor, utilisation factor, load curve, load duration curve. will elaborate on these shortly

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i noe this question is often repeated...but i want a fresh review on this...as i m placed in both..i am very much confused about which to join..its been said that...
multicasting in java, which contains a single administrator and and a single leader for each sub group
Hi sir, i have passed my SSC examination this year and i want to do diploma in chemical engineering.So what can i do for it? and will you elaberate scope...
I'm a student at NMIMS University Mumbai, pursuing MBATECH(IT), in the Fourth Year Click Here I want to make a career as a business analyst in the tablet & smartphone...
hello every member , i am a newbie to CE just about to complete B.Tech. in EC from Nirma University ahmedabad..born and brought up in mathura..placed in infosys and cognizant..gotta...