Post Graduation Doesn't Ensure Job!

A ton of engineering students opt for post graduate studies thinking that they'll get a suitable job and an edge over their peers. However, recent study has discovered that only 10% of the MBA students get the job; and that stat may as well extend to other streams of PG studies.

So if you are thinking of opting for PG studies thinking that it will make your chances of getting recruited; think again. It's going to be a better option to review your engineering subjects and try to get a job as an engineer.

Would like to have your thoughts on the same.

Replies

• N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Can you please give some link or source for that 'study'????
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    Agreeing with u sir. My faculties were also asking to pay much attention on my present engg. subjects.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This is very much true the world over with manufacturing jobs, which involve hands on engineering and I do not mean as a machine operator. PG degree is like specialization in medicine. It reduces your sphere of action and reduces potential for employment in diverse areas.

If at all such is needed, can be done after joining a job and seeing if there is a need.

There are exceptions of course. One of my friends did a PhD in Robotics at a top university in US, returned to India with a burning desire to start on his own. He started small. I also pushed him along with an enlightened self interest. I needed some hitech manufacturing of our heart valves. From the very first one there were no rejects inspite of stringent QC/QA protocols. His passion has led him on to open manufacturing facilities in tehnologically advanced countries like Japan and Germany.

That is entrepreneurial passion. A mustdo attitude against all odds. If one has it and a PG is needed for it, one must do it.
    Well, one will do it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    N.Gowtham Raj
    This is one such:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For me, post graduation always meant 'specialization' of some sort i.e. in some subject. Wondering if that is really true today.
    After graduation, the subject that has taken to our liking needs to be given time and due thorough study of that subject needs to be done. PG should be helpful for that.
    Doing it for getting a higher package is not really such a good idea.
  • safiajen0055
    safiajen0055
    The_Big_K
    A ton of engineering students opt for post graduate studies thinking that they'll get a suitable job and an edge over their peers. However, recent study has discovered that only 10% of the MBA students get the job; and that stat may as well extend to other streams of PG studies.

So if you are thinking of opting for PG studies thinking that it will make your chances of getting recruited; think again. It's going to be a better option to review your engineering subjects and try to get a job as an engineer.

Would like to have your thoughts on the same.
    Ya..Sir you are absolutely right..I've also done mechanical engineering but right i've not any job because i want that type of job which fully suitable with my study...There are lot of students think this...but right now i want job..So sir can you help me??
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Agreed. I opted for PG coz I loved what I studied in graduation. PG gives me option to explore it more. Though its not exactly what I thought it would be, but still I am learning more. As far as job is concerned, according to my experience its not hard for a computer science graduate to get one, not sure about MBAs though!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Missed your post. The study was conducted by ASSOCHAM and was reported by Times of India: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • avii
    avii
    PG totally ensures you a good paying job if you get into top tier colleges of India.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone, i need a mechanical project for final year. please help me out , its urgent and if possible please provide ppt also.
Whatever the corruption and malaise plaguing India, there is hope while there is such spirit! Let us salute them. ( email from my N.Purushottama)
How to design the output capacitor? I mean taking its ESR into consideration. And how output capacitor RMS current value is selected? Please can any one tell me the complete...
I will glad to receive some links that are connected to echnologies or devices or knowledge for cars
Why do we go for normalization like normalized vectors or normaluzed frequency etc.why cant we just use the original ones?