portable software and regular software

actually some softwares are need to be installed in order to utilize it and some softwares can be just utilized by just double clicking on it (there is no need to install (portable software).
Actually my doubt arises here:
whether the portable softwares are just compiled codes so that we can able to use it .
But in case of the nonportable softwares(the software which require pre-installation) will generate compiled codes actually what is the technical secret behind this

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Hi buddy you are right that portable software are nothing but just compiled codes so that we can use it just by executing.

Now why this does not apply to installable software, usually all installable softwares are highly compressed packages with compiled files for execution. You might know softwares ported as installable are always proprietary of software company or institution, doesn't matter it is free or not. Those software makers thus disallows you to misuse their source code for yourself and hence port a software as a package with hexadecimal signature which disallows the application to run without registering software to OS via that signature. This started just to protect proprietary rights of software owners when started. But slowly it became sign to detect malicious software which appears same as original one and Platform owners also started giving these software right to create their own cache as system level cache allowing faster execution than portable ones. All portable software face same problem related to system level cache to installable ones so they create extra files as cache and load them when you start them and hence they are able to give you same performance as installable one without actually getting any right for system level cache or signatures.Happy Computing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lot of engineers have entrepreneurial dreams. Some have it right during the college days and others have it after working for few years in corporate world. But the fact is...
plz rply......is mechatronics is a good bracnh???? is there any scope of job in india??? as it is new.....
Which one do you guys feel suits you? Except in few occasions ( like good professor or a foundation topic), I think I prefer self learning for myself and its...
hi friends, please have a look at the following specs and help me out! specs: The LV-MaxSonar detects objects from 0-inches to 254-inches (6.45-meters) and provides sonar range information from...
Dear Collegues, I need some Guidance over an Appropriate DSP cum Realtime Embedded Microcontroller which can be used for both Image Processing and to control a Robot ... the Image...