"Portable RAM?", is that possible? - Answer in this thread!

Make your very own Pendrive a Portable RAM (virtual)๐Ÿ˜

Just Follow these steps :-
1. Insert the Pen Drive (1GB atleast) in the USB port, i suggest you use 4GB.
2. Let the PC do what it wants to do to detect it..
3. After it finished his work, you have to act smart here, " Let the party begin "
4. Right Click on My Computer -> Properties
5. Advanced -> Performance Settings
6. Advanced -> Change
7. Select the Pen Drive
8. Click on Custom Size " Check the value of space available "
9. Enter the same in the Initial and the Max columns " You just used the space of the PenDrive as a Virtual Memory " Restart... " TADA!!! Your PC is Super Duper Fast!!

One of the Proud Super Duper CrazyEngineer

- Aniket (Pune)

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    nice tip aniket
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    hey aniket,that sounds great. did you try it or just a hypothetical concept?
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    The above process just creates a Windows pagefile in your pendrive. This may not potentially improve your PC's performance as there are pagefiles on other drives as well and they aren't always full.
    If the OS ever uses the pagefile on the pendrive, the performance will not be as expected because the pendrive is much slower than he hard disk.

In Vista and Win 7 there is a feature called ReadyBoost using which you can improve your computer's performance.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    exactly as gaurav said. it just creates a pagefile(virtual ram as u call it) which wont be of much use as the PF usage never is 100% on the hard disks and they are definitely faster than our pendrives. So it is more of a hypothesis than a real thing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. COUNTRY CODE Consider every country being assigned a unique 4 digit code by the United Nations for security purposes. The presidents of several countries are now quite upset by...
hi everyone,i want to do oracle training as my summer training... last year some CEAN selected for that,i want to know what's the criteria n how would i take that...
Windows 7 Shortcuts File Size: 207 KB If you like the look of Windows 7's great new keyboard shortcuts but aren't planning to upgrade for a while, Windows 7 Shortcuts...
Hello guys and gals, Is there any option for a person from non-engineering background to do either ME or MTECH ? If someone thinks we need then why ? Lets...
i need to build a simple camera, without involving a microcontroller! possible???? if yes, how???๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜› if no, then thx for ur time!๐Ÿ˜’