Please help me with the Scale of Chrods -_-'

Hi ^_^ I thought Engineering graphics would be easy but actually it's not! I've exams within 2 days! -_-'

Anyone can explain me how to construct scale of chords? It's too difficult to understand the concept from the Book. ๐Ÿ˜”
Please help me if you know about it ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I thought that scale of chords relates to music. I have not heard of this term in engineering graphics.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    bioramani
    I thought that scale of chords relates to music. I have not heard of this term in engineering graphics.

No, it's a method to measure and construct angles without using the protractor ๐Ÿ˜€

And I got it. My problem solved ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Do post how you mastered it in simple terms here May be it will be of help to some one in the future
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The length of the chord of a circle with a given radius has a direct relationship with the angle that the chord subtends at the centre.
    If l = chord length, r = radius of the circle and A the angle subtended by the chord at the centre then,

l = r x sin(A/2)

After I read the last post of #-Link-Snipped-# I went back to my old trusted Perry's handbook to check.
    Sure enough the Scale of Chords is very much there, though not called that.

The main point is that since length measurement is more accurate than angular measurement with a protractor, the scale of chords can give very accurate measurement of angles.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    Conqueror
    Do post how you mastered it in simple terms here May be it will be of help to some one in the future
    #-Link-Snipped-# already did ๐Ÿ˜€ but if you've any questions, feel free to ask me ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    bioramani
    The length of the chord of a circle with a given radius has a direct relationship with the angle that the chord subtends at the centre.
    If l = chord length, r = radius of the circle and A the angle subtended by the chord at the centre then,

l = r x sin(A/2)

After I read the last post of #-Link-Snipped-# I went back to my old trusted Perry's handbook to check.
    Sure enough the Scale of Chords is very much there, though not called that.

The main point is that since length measurement is more accurate than angular measurement with a protractor, the scale of chords can give very accurate measurement of angles.

True ^_^

And do you know how to draw Rhombus of 100 mm and 70mm diagonal?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Draw x-axis of 100 mm
    2. Draw y axis of 70mm at centre of x axis. -_-
    3. Now join all four points.

Is that correct? I've exams, please reply ASAP ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Saiwal
    Saiwal
    ErAnushka
    True ^_^

And do you know how to draw Rhombus of 100 mm and 70mm diagonal?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Draw x-axis of 100 mm
    2. Draw y axis of 70mm at centre of x axis. -_-
    3. Now join all four points.

Is that correct? I've exams, please reply ASAP ๐Ÿ˜•
    ๐Ÿ˜€ correct
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Apologies, the formula I gave has a Typo.
    The chord length is l =2 x r x sin(A/2),
    I missed the important 2.
    Check: The chord for a 60 degree angle is equal to the radius.
    l = 2 x r x sin(60/2) = 2 x r x sin(30) = 2 x r x (1/2) = r.

Both of you are right about the rhombus. Diagonals bisect each other at right angles.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    bioramani
    Apologies, the formula I gave has a Typo.
    The chord length is l =2 x r x sin(A/2),
    I missed the important 2.
    Check: The chord for a 60 degree angle is equal to the radius.
    l = 2 x r x sin(60/2) = 2 x r x sin(30) = 2 x r x (1/2) = r.

Both of you are right about the rhombus. Diagonals bisect each other at right angles.
    Oh! Thanks ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Android SDK is proprietary and not Opensource ! Find it "Fake" news ? Ok! Go to THIS LINK Now, select any of the file for download & instantly the "Terms...
After release of Windows 8, most people complained about dual boot difficulties with Windows 8 & Linux OS. Well there is shortlist of Linux OS which will dual boot with...
Everyone once in life gets trolled. Apple Store in Germany gets trolled too ๐Ÿ˜›
Like I've said before too - Microsoft is good in marketing (They're god-like in marketing,no doubt) but when it comes to their work - they terribly suck! Not only that,just...
Opera Software, the company behind the most popular web browser for Android & iOS will be launching newly designed browser that will be running on Webkit is named as Opera...