Please help! (Biomedical Engineering or anybody with regards to pursuing MS degrees)

Hello, I am 27 with a BA in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from Rutgers. I am interested in Biomedical Engineering. I understand that it would be lengthy and costly to pursue a second bachelor's in Biomedical Engineering. I was curious as to the possibility of obtaining an MS in Biomedical Engineering (obviously after taking the GRE). Some schools have official or unofficial briding programs.

(By the way, the profile that somebody is an engineer. I couldn't do anything to chance that).

For example, I received advice from somebody about pursuing an MS in Chemical Engineering rather than going through and getting a second BS and that it would only prove to provide more lucrative employment in roughly the same amount of time.

My concerns are with regard to employment opportunities. Would having a MS in Biomedical Engineering without a bachelors in an engineering field hurt chances of employment?

I'm told 27 is still young but I just want to get this right.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Re: Please help! (Biomedical Engineering or anybody with regards to pursuing MS degre

Emerging research areas in tissue engineering can use Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. There could be avenues in these even with the BA. If you are considering BME for work in design/development of artificial internal organs, then an engineering background will be needed. Biomedical Engineering covers a lot of disciplines. It is difficult to offer an opinion unless the areas of interest are defined more sharply.
  • AndrewBerin
    AndrewBerin
    Re: Please help! (Biomedical Engineering or anybody with regards to pursuing MS degre

Yes, I was actually wondering in terms of viability as well.

These are the fields of specialization for a graduate again at NJIT which I am looking at:
    Neural Engineering
    Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
    Biomechanics
    Bioinstrumentation
    Rehabilitation Engineering
    Biomedical Imaging#-Link-Snipped-#
    I'm willing to specialize in anything. I'm just worried about employment opportunities in the NJ area.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The NJIT program appears to be quite comprehensive. However, the requirement for admission to MS does not seem to include BA ( Molecular Biology and Biochemistry). The biomaterials/tissue engineering course may be the best option. It certainly has a good future. Since I am from India I am unable to comment on jobs in NJ area.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai Friends, just saw a video about the 'Real Superhumans' on the 'Discovery Channel'. Check it out and tell me what you think. [video=youtube;mxogo0sMFBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxogo0sMFBM[/video] [video=youtube;qyLDlgGcS-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLDlgGcS-M[/video]
I came to know about the CE id. mail.crazyengineers.net Which service CE is using for these ID's?? Can anybody explain it or tell me? There are numbers of various services...
Happy friendship day to all crazyengineers. I'm glad to be a part of this CE family 😀 Thanks for all your support.
A Lover Says, `I will be with you in all your troubles`. But a Good Friend Says, `You will have no trouble when I am with you!`😀
[HR][/HR] Hi guys, Can someone plz tell me how to do load balancing using parallel generators with an avr micro-controller? What should be the approach for switching between generators to...