PLC OR MICROCONTROLLER WHICH ONE TO USE??

Hi CEans !! glad to meet u after a long time ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
here is my idea for a project .a device should hold an object by its clamps and at next instant a hammer should hit it . for this operation and control am confused to use whether plc or micro controller . my budget is upto 10 k.pls suggest me the suitable controller !!

Replies

• ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    plc is nothing but a microcontroller. you can use any.
  • HRG
    HRG
    ya but in terms of cost ? i heard dat plc is much costlier .but on other hands micro controller needs driver circuits so which one t use for this application?
  • HRG
    HRG
    and how to build a robotic clamp wat type of servo motor should be used?
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    what driver are you talking about? I'm not completely understood about what you said in 1st post. But, it sounds like something like a automatic carpentry work. Am i right?
  • pinank
    pinank
    a plc is much more costlier than any microcontrollers! Arduino is the best choice as programming it is much easier than others! and even PLC programming is difficult with the ladder logic!
  • pinank
    pinank
    and building relay based drivers should be enough! as relay drivers are easy to build!
  • HRG
    HRG
    it is more like holding a metal piece and hitting with hammer.i have to do it as automatic.if i use micro controller i have to design separate driver circuits for the motors .but i dnt know much about plc.and how to build the holding of an object ? i know a robotic clamp must be used but how to automate it what type of motor should be used ???
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    For such a simple operation ,use micro controller . Thumb rule to use PLC is when you want to control many machines and many processes.

More ever PLC costs alot.

For Holding metal piece , how about using pneumatic system ?
  • HRG
    HRG
    pneumatic system ya i have to use that one.but i dono the abcd of pneumatic system and how to construct it .do u know any sites about building pneumatic systems, making robotic clamps and the hammering action?
  • pinank
    pinank
    stepper motors are generaly used as you can control the rotations...and you can just google search about pneumatic systems!
  • barath rajamani
    barath rajamani
    first check out the electric ratings of your drives amd motors(servos)..
    also see if the microcontroller can give out so much amps??
    if not then see if you can get the relays to increase the amps for the motors.
    if yes then draw a simple circuit drawing which will include all the electrical andcontroller components.
    so when u know that the circuit is ready, then list out the BOM and enquire the price.
    compare with PLC and with microcontroller prices..
    now you have one more option of choosing between them and that is the feasibility (from the circuit diagram)...๐Ÿ‘

UR project... URdecision... SIMPLE!
  • HRG
    HRG
    #-Link-Snipped-#

thakyo for ur valuable reply ๐Ÿ˜€ am in the stage of discussion with ma classmates .soon i will post my querires

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Being a blogger, I'm always searching for an app that gives me the hot and latest news quickly. But as with most of the news apps, the real pain lies...
HI guys!!!! it is a general discussion !!!!! i am doing automobile engineering in chennai!!! i like the course very much but i have one serious doubt that why girls...
Hai, This is Bharathidasan from Puducherry, India would like to have good experience
I need this info regarding my friend, who is a 2012 pass-out, in Computer Science. He wants to know how does one become a lecturer after BTech. He is even...
i want to create to create pc suite using java. already i know have nokia pc suite there. but i want to make some automation send sms and some extra...