Plate Type Heat Exchangers

To Whom It May Concern,

Plate type Heat Exchangers Full Service/Overhaul

For a full service/overhaul of the plate type heat exchanger unit (chilled water to cooling water), is it recommended to replace all the plate gaskets as the unit will be disassembled for cleaning and re-assembled back utilizing the old/existing plate gaskets?

Would there be any leakage or elasticity-dropped in the plate gaskets if the old/existing plate gaskets are re-utilized in the service.

My utmost gratitude to those who read, comment and reply to this questions raised. Thanks very much.

Replies

• Tkelly
    Tkelly
    Hi,

First thing is after how long you are over hauling/servicing plate HE.
    If it is quite long time then there is possibility that while servicing of getting the gasket damaged.
    It may not be required that all the gaskets need to be replaced. But definitely damaged one need to be replaced.Get it serviced only from manufacturer. This is common practice.Then no worry of leakage.

Tom
    CAD Outsourcing Services India | Indovance Inc
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree with Tom, it depends on the service history and the current condition of the gaskets. Some may not need to be replaced, although if replacing all is a viable option then it would be a better ROI then multiple tear downs.
  • voonchunyung
    voonchunyung
    Thanks for the replies and advices. The HEX units have never been service/overhaul for the past 6 six years since the day the units start commissioning and operation. The units have now been found to be working in improper condition, whereby the performance has dropped in which the differential temperature is 3-4 degree Celsius between the chilled water inlet/outlet supply and return.

No doubt the units have to be re-gasket (with new gaskets) during the service if based you all advices and also the manufacturers/expertise. I have also been informed that the life-span of the gasket is 5-6 years which the elasticity may have dropped.

In this case, the unit have to be re-gasketted for the entire unit which would cost us 25% of a new unit.
    Again, thanks very much to you all and my appreciation to the advices/comment posted.

Regards,
    ChunYung, Voon
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    units have to be re-gasketed as there life is 4 to 5 years and thats what you have written. and your unit works at temperature of 3-4 celsius so it affects the performance of gasket over the span of time...
  • voonchunyung
    voonchunyung
    Dear All,

The Plate-type Heat Exchanger (PHEX) is a chilled water to cooling water for building air-conditioning purpose. The temperature differential is 3-4 degree Celsius which is not performing accordingly to the manufacturer specification.

The unit is actually performing at the primary side with inlet: 7 degree Celsius and Outlet: 10 degree Celsius in which the differential temperature is 3 degree
    Celsius. In order for the unit to perform well, the temperature differential should be 1.0 to 1.5 degree Celsius.

Please post any further technical comments/advices on the P-HEX maintenance. Thanks very much and good day ahead!

Regards,
    ChunYung, Voon

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am facing a problem in php script ...this script is used to upload a file in server Please help me ..here is the script File Upload Form...
Hey Biggie, It would be great if you could get Criss Messina on CE. I just read a piece on RWW, you can find it here.
can you help me out in giving new ideas for doing mini project in mechanical field
see the code #include #include class demo { private: int no; public: void get_no() { cin>>no; } void process_no() const { no=4; } void display() { cout<
Well all of the c++ programmers know about it's well known feature operator overloading but can anyone explain me. 1:-Why we can't overload ternary operator,sizeof(),.(dot) operator?why? 2:-what is difference between...