PHYSICAL MEANING OF MOMENT AND COUPLE

Hii, friends.
can anybody tel me what is the physical significance of moment and couple?
What is the meaning of direction and sense in right hand thumb rule in moment and couple?
please help I m confused😕.

Replies

• IMME
    IMME
    NO HELP??????😔😔
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Couple or turning moment are nothing but torque.

it is also called a rotating force.

it is the amount of leverage that has to be applied to a certain heavy object in order to turn it about its axis of rotation.

direction however means the direction of rotation (clockwise or anticlockwise).
  • IMME
    IMME
    Couple or turning moment are nothing but torque.
    i think in couple there are two forces(equal in magni but oppst in dircn) and in turning moment only one force(acting about a axis).
    then how they can be equal.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    i think in couple there are two forces(equal in magni but oppst in dircn) and in turning moment only one force(acting about a axis).
    then how they can be equal.
    So u must be thinking that those 2 must cancel... but my friend, these two are not acting at a single point(if they would be acting at a point then being in opposite direction they should cancel out) but they act on different points of same body, and hence torque is generated,and the object rotates😀.
  • IMME
    IMME
    but rahul they are acting in the same plane i think. so the net affect of force must have to be cancel out isn't it? otherwise couple will not be formed if they are not in same plane.
    forces should/must be in same plane if they are forming a couple
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Yes the net force is zero!! but the "moment of force" is not zero, and hence the body experiences torque, I was talking about Moment of force and both have same direction and hence not equal to zero.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So friends, Here's one task for me.It's not compulsory though I wanna pretend as if this project is compulsory & work on it. The project is mainly Mathematics related, but...
Just tell me what are they used for and why in particular (means high freq. for some particular function then why not low frequencies there)? (noise tolerance, propagation through obstacles,...
In FDM, independent signals are translated into different frequency bands using modulation and then all the modulated signals are combined to in a linear summing circuit to form the composite...
Vodafone has already been accepting the Aadhaar Card (the part of UIDAI project) for the new mobile applications in Hyderabad and Vijaywada. But the real big adoption of the new...
And what is mean by the clock signal? Because it is just high or low right?