Phone Battery Conditioning - How To Do It?

Friends,

With the growing popularity of smart phones, the need of better battery life is also growing. We all want phone batteries that last longer and perform optimally under regular use. I stumbled upon a piece of information on the Internet about 'Battery Conditioning' - a technique used to condition the battery so that it lasts longer and also improves the overall battery life.

What what I've learned so far here's how to do it :-

1. Charge the battery for about 8 hours before initial use.
2. Let it completely drain [that is until 0% power left]
3. Charge the battery without switching on the phone till it's 100% charged.
4. Repeat the cycle for up to 8-10 times.

Every time you do it, the battery life improves and it performs better. I'm trying it on my phone and will post the results. I'm currently at the cycle #1 of battery conditioning.

I request CEans to post more information about this and if possible try this out (AT YOUR OWN RISK).

Let's see the results. If there are any other techniques to improve the battery life; please share them here.

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    if this technique is really can be implemented then this is a very innovative one .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No, this is not at all innovative. It is simply a standard way to charge the Lithium powered batteries. The Lithium batteries eliminate the 'memory effect' present in Nikel batteries. I spoke the the Samsung technician and he informed me that the first cycle should be 8 hours charging (while keeping the phone off), followed by complete discharge followed by 3-4 hours of charging.

After which, the battery (Lithium powered) should not be discharged fully. Instead, charge the battery when it is down to 5%.

I wonder whether anyone's got more practical information/experience about this.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I can vouch for the memory effect. My notebook's battery has a pretty lousy memory. 2 minutes after unplugging the battery, it goes down from 100% to 5%. I have tried this on my laptop's battery but I didn't notice any changes. Maybe I was doing something wrong!!! I'll try this with my phone nonetheless ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Mad_Scientist: Not sure whether this works on a used battery. Perhaps you can try it when you get a new battery. Also, what type of battery does your laptop carry? [Nickel or Lithium?]
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    How can you discharge the battery fully (100%) in the first run? The phones would be programmed to switch off when they reach a threshold, say about 3% power, right? Meaning, when the phone switches off, there will still be some power left in the battery. Is it ok?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    From what Apple guys recommend, we have found that once per month you should let your phone discharge completely (until it turns off) and then charge it, uninterrupted, up to 100%.
    This keeps your full battery worked out and ready for use every day.

For your Android devices, thereโ€™s a free app available on Google Play called Battery Calibration.

It removes the batterystats.bin system file and creates a new, clean file. This ensures that your battery percentage reading is always accurate and not corrupted or out of sync from switching ROMs.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Haven't done any experiment yet . But, I too believe in letting the phone to discharge completely & charge it again till 100% always.

For traveling chores & emergency situations I prefer Universal Portable USB charges available in market.

Nokia has one if its type #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Everyone, I am working as stress analysis engineer for refineries in India. I am looking for jobs in US and Canada in the same field. Can anyone help me...
Hi Everyone, I was thinking of something like a heat sensor security stuff? heat sensor on a sentry camera that will take picture when detects heat? any suggestions? Any specific...
When we declare a class in java,why does it automatically extends to object class? please let me know your views.
Independence day is coming So why not show our love towards our country by writing a poem You have to write a poem that would show your love towards your...
:smile:hi any one mail me some good project report for final year BE E.C. MY MAIL is