Philips Hue Open API & iOS SDK Launched

Regular readers of VoiCE may remember our article about Philips Hue Bulb Meets Apple iOS App - Creates Light Of Your Choice - a new kind of lighting system that offers a ton of cool features and iOS control. The Hue bulb system is interconnected through your home wireless network and Philips even called it the 'smartest bulb' ever. Developers have already adopted the new lighting system and have already began developing apps to create various lighting scenes - viz. party, ambiance, disco and so on. The Philips Hue kit can be ordered for $199 and if I'm not mistaken, it's being sold at Apple stores in the USA.

The latest update is the launch of an Open API and an iOS SDK to make it easier for the developers to create more innovative apps. The system uses ZigBee for complete home automation which means the network can sense motion, temperature and even get other appliances connected to it. For example, you will soon be able to program the system to turn of the lights as soon as you switch on the TV. Sounds cool, right?

slide

The best part is that the developer tools are available free of cost to anyone who wants to develop for the Hue lighting system.

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Now that's some smart marketing!! For a starter kit of $200, all one can control is three bulbs. What I would want at that price is the ability to control ANY device. Like the one I'm experimenting with right now. Here's a short video

PS: LEDs have long life span because they generate negligible heat.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Yep, it's mostly smart marketing but Hue system goes a little further. It basically hooks on to your wireless network and iOS devices can be used to control the 'ambiance' - the overall brightness and colors as well - I believe creating a perfect sync of colors is what they're marketing as the USP of the products.

But I'm sure this could very well become a DIY project.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Brightness control is done using Pulse width modulation (PWM). Controlling colors is as simple as controlling the brightness of red, green and blue LEDs inside a single unit. The device in my video can be controlled using any device (android, iOS, symbian) using any network (wifi or wired) using a simple web browser. If there's enough interest in my DIY project, I can start selling it too and compete with Philips 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Investments in commodities and precious metals can be made indirectly through stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, or derivatives or people can directly buy or sell the commodity or precious metal itself....
Jay Sullivan Mozilla's VP of Product, that OpenSource/Not-For-Profit Organization is not going to code it's iOS version of Web browser as long as Apple don't mend their behaviour for Third...
When you're offering something on the Internet - should we call it a 'product' or a 'service'? Traditionally, a product is something that you can physically touch while service was...
Gujarat's solar project, in the Charanka village in Patan produces 214 MW of electricity every day, which is believed to be more than China (200 MW) and rest of India....
HCL is one of the preferred technology companies in India by engineers graduating in CS/IT and electronics related branches. I see a lot of candidates are searching for the recruitment...