Phase Explosion and Marangoni Flow Effects during Laser Micromachining of Thin Metal

Hendijanifard, M., Willis, D.A., “Phase Explosion and Marangoni Flow Effects during Laser Micromachining of Thin Metal Films”, Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 6879, (Presented at Photonics West Conference, January, 2008).
Hendijanifard SPIE2008.pdf
#-Link-Snipped-#

ABSTRACT
Phase explosion and Marangoni flow during laser micromachining of thin films are studied in this paper. The
purpose of this study is to improve understanding of the time scales by which these processes occur. The
study is based on time-resolved reflection imaging method. The effect of the Marangoni flow can be seen on
the starting/ending time scales of the ablation. The microscopic images make it clearer if the flow regime is
more Marangoni flow dominant or phase explosion dominant. Marangoni flow is mainly responsible for
removal of the outer layers of the melt pool, while phase explosion begins in the center of the sample. The
other difference is the speed of material removal from the sample which shows that phase explosion occurs on
a shorter time scale than Marangoni flow. This difference may result in new applications by controlling the
fluence of the laser in both Marangoni and phase explosion regions. Phase explosion phenomenon may be
used for instant removal of material from the sample and Marangoni flow may be used for fine and more
controlled material removal from the sample.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i am an ECE student ,currently in my 2nd year.I am confused about my future options whether to do an MBA/M.TECH/MS(in india or abroad) though i am inclined towards...
FreeFixer Version: 0.45 File Size: 740 License: Free FreeFixer is a general purpose removal tool which will help you to delete potentially unwanted software, such as adware, spyware, trojans, viruses...
if you want to test your already existing skills or want to learn new skills, CISCO has come up with nice games. I remember I have already mentioned about these...
Hello, I am unable to delete the folders named like 7a739c8a9bfe463a530c65 in my D drive. I think these are temp folders created during Windows Update.But now when I try to...
Hello, when I start my laptop then there sre 2-3 warnings as follows:- 1) cannot find Other.exe file 2) cannot find Win.exe file 3) and a notepad opens named desktop.ini...