Performance in 12th and engineering below 60% - worried about career

Hi,
I'm in my final year of BE in Computer Science & Engineering & I'm confused as hell as to what I should be doing next. Following is my profile:

58% in 12th
58% till 6th sem

As my profile says, I'm not eligible for most of the companies on campus. On top of that, I have a gap of 3 years in my education between 10th & 12th. I kind of made the worst decisions in my life, which I still regret. But I seriously don't know what I should do next in this condition.
I was thinking of preparing for eLitmus & AmCat, but then again I'm not sure if I'll ever get a call from any company since I have a not so impressive academic profile.

So I thought of posting this question here. I am confused, depressed & helpless in a city like Bangalore. Every walk-in interview I prepare myself for always reminds me of this horrible fact that there's always someone better than me & that it is an uncertainty for me. I'm passionate about development & have developed a few things on my own, and I can prove myself to be an effective team player if I'm given the chance, but that chance itself seems so bleak to me. So I'm in dire need of some seriously helpful advice.

Thank you for your time.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - welcome to CrazyEngineers. Thank you for describing your situation in detail.

You're trying to go the normal route, which is going to be difficult because everyone else's doing the same thing. You need to make a promise to yourself to get out of your current situation and do anything to be in the situation you deserve.

You can't change your past performance, but you certainly don't want to regret 3-4 years down the line. In the longer run, it does not matter how much you scored in 12th or in engineering. It does NOT matter whether you went to IIT / IIM or some unknown engineering college. What really matters is what you are doing 'right now'.

That said, first decide on what kind of career you'd really want to be in. It should be an honest answer. You say you wish to get into (software) development and have developed a few things on your own. I think that's a great thing!

Here's the action plan I will suggest to you-
    1. Start putting all the hard work into developing your existing skills-set. If you think you can, get new skills in terms of new programming language, software tools etc.
    2. Keep building projects in the open source domain; build a portfolio in the next six months that you are proud of.
    3. You are located in Bangalore, the IT HUB of India. There are so many startup companies in Bangalore that'd be more than willing to look at your portfolio and give you a chance. This should be your target. Join a startup company that you know 'pays' the employees. Be careful while making your choice.
    4. A startup company would be amazing place to 'get entry' in the industry and build some experience. Your focus should be making yourself 'awesome' in few tools / programming languages / technology and have an above average knowledge in associated tools and technologies. This surely means lot of hard work.
    5. Get about 2 years of experience before thinking of making a switch to another company.
    Step 3 may require you to walk into offices and request for a meeting with the recruiters. You can start mailing contacting CEOs, CTOs of the startups or contacting them via LinkedIn, Email etc. I'm sure people would be very much willing to listen to you. You don't see engineers these days who 'develop' stuff on their own.

All the best!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CAT 2015 aspirants should take a note of the changes this year's common admission test will bring. The major deviation in the CAT 2015 pattern is that the test will...
Reliance LYF 4G LTE brand of smartphones will soon be launched by Reliance Retail, a subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani owned Reliance Industries. The new smartphone brand "LYF" is expected to...
What is the difference between inductance and induction?

Hi

My name is Chandan Nasta. I am from Mumbai. I came across this wonderful site of yours which has a lot of good information and I really liked it a...