People's political party - will it work?

There's a saying in the corporate world "A horse is a dog designed by a committee" - and I fully agree with it. Having seen and experienced how a 'group of people' can really mess up with the simplest of the decisions. That's the reason I've always had doubts about the functioning of 'democracy'. I do believe in democracy; but not the way it's been designed to work.

If I'm not mistaken, democracy assumes that a group of people or community will decide what's good and what's not good for 'everyone in the community'. In such decisions the majority always wins. I however want to ask - can a group really decide what's good and what's not good - while taking serious decisions?

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think a 'people's political party' will make things work? Or do we need a 'leader' with good intensions and knowledge to bring the progress people want?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Benevolent Dictatorship seems to have worked in software.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Chapter 4. Social and Political Infrastructure

Is Singapore a model to copy?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

The other side:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    "The only thing wrong with the democratic process is the failure to use it. ~ Seymour Graubard"

I feel in democracy since justice and power to all sections of community is prime concern ,even the powerful representative (PM) finds problem to make decision and implement them.
    Instead a leader should be given powers who is worthy of it and has utter desire to develop nation.
    He might make few mistakes but we will learn something.A nation unable make decisions has which kind of future?

I have always wondered about few nations like Japan and Singapore.
    Japan was hit bad during wars but still it has been such a developed and powerful country.What system they follow? I read the Japanese are learning from our democracy and applying the concept of opposition party in their parliament.Will it help Japan or it becomes another INDIA ?😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Japan got developed because they stuck to their own language and culture. They believed in themselves unlike Indians who always looked around for copy+paste.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not only that Japanese workers are hard built entrepreneurs rather than some one else software slave as in India this is the reason for them to grow after so many blows

When chaos strikes BUSINESS COMPETITORS forget their differences and stick as a group but INDIAN ATTITUDE is "IF I AM SINKING HE SHOULD ALSO SINK"

The principles of strong fraternity is the greatest secret of the Japanese towards development
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    As i asked before " what is the reason for such optimistic beliefs and attitude in Japanese" ?

I read about Singapore governance listed by Bioramani Sir. From that i can say that for becoming a developed nation(a heavenly place to live) A little dictator ship is also necessary(perhaps at least in taking decisions and implementing rules ).

But in Indian system that would be quiet difficult.
    Think of those days when few people from India opposed coming of computer technology in our country.

Actually the core beliefs of the people has to change towards life and it starts with US.
    😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    People opposed computers because they did not know what computers were and what'd they do. It was natural and I don't think there was a 'large' number of people opposing computers.

#-Link-Snipped-# : In your last post, did you mean 'US' or 'U.S'?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    As i asked before " what is the reason for such optimistic beliefs and attitude in Japanese" ?
    #-Link-Snipped-# Japanese get it from the way of their life from the ancestral heritage some say cause of the tight linguistic bond between' em in their country
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    The_Big_K
    People opposed computers because they did not know what computers were and what'd they do. It was natural and I don't think there was a 'large' number of people opposing computers.

#-Link-Snipped-# : In your last post, did you mean 'US' or 'U.S'?
    Big_K,
    That meant 'us' (not country U.S.).

And actually the opposition was made due to the same reason "that it is against poor and worker section of country as computers will lead to replacement of workers".

I think people knew what was computers as the opposition was made by section of political parties (as they do now also).
    But imagine computers not coming to India 😲 .
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    jeffrey samuel
    #-Link-Snipped-# Japanese get it from the way of their life from the ancestral heritage some say cause of the tight linguistic bond between' em in their country
    Okay.Thats why way of life of people determines how nation shall progress.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I guess the success of democracy depends on the leaders people choose. As we can see right now, the kind of people sitting in the parliament, we are destined to sink. I am not opposing any political party here, but the system should be changed, we are poor, so rich can buy our vote which is turn take our money, leaving us poor and the cycle continues. Democracy doesnt rely on any single factor. It is a good thing, but only when people understand its power. If its misused, well, we are already suffering the result....😉.
    We need a leader who is visionary, and ofcourse a good team who believe in him and complements him. And yeah, a good opposition too. Without opposition it will turn into a dictatorship. Thats the area where we should copy U.S., not in programming and life style...😛
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    We have already copied U.S. Our country's constitution was written by studying the that of U.S.A. and U.K.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I agree with Pensu. The democracy does not work in our country because the new rule that came into power after the Brits left followed the same policies - divide and rule. If you refer to McCauley's talks in the British Parliament; he clearly laid out a plan to destroy India's education system - which is a crucial factor in 'dividing' people and 'making them slaves'. I often used to wonder why only a handful of rulers could rule this country with the use of our own countrymen being used as 'police'.

Those who rose to power through the democratic election process did not 'change' the policies; but rather continued to follow them in order to be the 'kings' and not people's representatives.

A simple example of this: Mahatma Gandhi marched against the 'tax' on salt. Did that tax go away after India gained freedom? We still continue to pay taxes; and in fact there are over 60 different types of taxes Indians pay.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

E=MC2 relation shows the energy mass equation..can we change of energy into mass...............
I am aware there is a built in utility for bridging connections, but I was trying to implement the same using a Python Script. This is the how the set-up...
Can someone provide me with a format for software proposal? I want to know how software proposals are made?
Real Age has come up with tips to keep you on your toes, literally. Real Age was not of much use to me as my aim was to put on...
My college has given me an opportunity to work on any one of the project given below: 1) Smart irrigation system using ARM 2)Room automation system using ARM 3) Design...