Pen drive shows "the disk is write protected " while formatting

if your pen drive shows when your trying to do format "the disk is write protected "

then..

1. Open Start Menu >> Run, type regedit and press Enter, this will open the registry editor.

2. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

• The problem can also be caused by some virus activity so just get it scanned by some updated good anti virus which may solve your problem.
• BUT if none of the methods listed above solves your problem then your pen drive might have gone corrupted, so just get it replaced.
Hope any of the methods listed above solves your problem.

Replies

• theinam
    theinam
    After the low level format, you may need to “Partition the drive“. Dont worry, partitioning a pen drive means allocating it its File System and Cluster Size that was lost after the Low Level Format.
    For that:
    Run diskmgmt.msc in Run.
    In the disk management window, select the pen drive, right click on it and click on Format.
    Now choose the File System and Allocation Unit Size and do not check the boxes below.

Click OK and the drive will be reusable after this.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    You haven't given the complete info in the first post... In that, you have to make sure that the WriteProtect switch is set to 0.
  • theinam
    theinam
    and if still you have that problem then you simple format your pendrive in the LINUX O.S computer you can format it for sure....
    if the problem still exits, you better prefer to format it while your system is being format with windows xp, simultaneously keep the pendrive in the usb port 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I am going to buy a digital camera for vacations. I was thinking which one is the best? I want one for a rough and tough use. Something like...
where we use roller supports?? and how it works??? plz give me some common examples.
Dear all CE s, I am not able to use graphical functions in C. I am using Devcpp compiler. Can you clarify.....................?
The National Students' Space Challenge is now open for all. Build the next generation lunar rover or a water-rocket; design a lunar research facility or an underwater rover - what...
SCHEMCON is an annual conference organized by the Students' Chapter of IICHE under its Regional Centre of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers. SCHEMCON provides a platform for the Chemical Engineering...