Peer Pressure - Does It Force You To Do Wrong Things?

We live in the world of tough competition and peer pressure is natural outcome of the competition we build up in our own minds. This competition may lead to positive outcome or sometimes negative. I've grown up watching my friends study more and excel in class because of peer pressure and also seen few friends take up smoking - which I'd not classify as a good habit.

Think about it - you are in a group of people who are smoking and you don't want be 'left out' or don't want to develop the feeling of not belonging to the group. You'll light up a cig and get introduced to smoking.

So the point of the debate is whether peer pressure forces you to take up wrong things or there's no such thing as peer pressure? Share your views.

Replies

• vaib840
    vaib840
    i dnt thnk so...............
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vaib840
    i dnt thnk so...............
    Maybe you should elaborate a bit more about your point so that we know why you don't agree. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    hmmmmmm.......if peer dnt pressurize us to do sumthng........many of us nt able do anythng........i thnk we need little bit pressure so we cn carry ourselves gud.......
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hey, peer pressure is there everywhere. Even in my team, the whole team smokes and have weekend stuffs, but I will give a company but not indulge in the activity. It is your policy not to indulge in things that harm your reputation or health... ๐Ÿ˜€ So, it is about the individual, his capability to resists such stuffs and at the same time, not feel deserted, by giving them a company. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    yeah ur absolutly ryt....i dnt thnk any harm in peer pressure...itz all about our thinking......
    Moreover, people in the professional world are mature enough (guess so) not to pressurize their peers when they don't do... Am I right? ๐Ÿ˜
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    hmmmmm......itz jst kiddish to talk abt this pressure ........as we hav to face lotz of other pressure in ths zalim lyf nd we hav to cme out frm tht.......so plz jst take ths pressure positively nd keep gng
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just a word of caution. Let's not focus on 'smoking' which I used as a common example for peer pressure.
    The_Big_K
    Just a word of caution. Let's not focus on 'smoking' which I used as a common example for peer pressure.
    PS: Smoking is the least... Others are too bad!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    praveenscience
    PS: Smoking is the least... Others are too bad!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
    i think so...........smoking as well as other activities are really bad......plz stop any type of alcohols
    Dude, I said, of all the bad habits, smoking is the least one... Others are too worst!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Peers refer to the same age group. I feel that even at times the grown ups don't set a good example to the kids which leads to the big problems like getting into the wrong habits. Often college students lack the sensibility to THINK BEFORE THEY DO SOMETHING...
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I will answer in favor. I have seen a lot of people taking up some habits just because they want to be part of group. And i wont say its literally a pressure as people themselves do the things so that they dont feel left out.
    And peer pressure doesnt force you to bad habits only, there can be good habits too which you can take up from your team members.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Towards the end of my high school days I decided that I will eschew ambition and not engage in competitive activities. I will be completely selfish and do what excited me . Yet I became a hopeless addict to smoking (up to 200/day). It was not peer pressure. Just curiosity.
    I am not saying peer presure is not there in the world. Else why so many student suicides? One need not succumb to it. A certain level of self confidence and avoidance of externalization is what helps counteract peer pressure.

If one realizes deep down that each is unique, peers (and peer pressure) vanish.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Consider an example.
    You are expecting some miracle to happen and it does. Some would call it as luck and that you were lucky, while some would say that God made the miracle possible. Two different views - outcome is same.

Similarly, with the case of smoking and drinking(taking the example), the case, most often, is that almost everyone in your friend circle might be smoking and/or drinking and sooner or later you too start doing the same. You could blame 'peer pressure' or you could (but generally would not) blame your own interest and curiosity into trying it (which later turns into addiction).
    It is easier to blame others than to accept one's own fault. I believe peer pressure to be one such case.

All my close friends smoke, drink and dope. I have been to night outs where there's continuous boozing, smoking and doping! Am also a very frequent visitor to the bars and am often asked to join them in their activities but I do not do so because I do not feel that is really worth anything. There's nothing such as peer pressure for me because my way of viewing things is different.

As Bioramani Sir said, most often it is just human curiosity that makes one study harder or go and have a cigarette just because others around are doing it.

It is human nature to try and copy from others, things that one consider interesting and that is what makes them follow the path their peers have taken. They may try, fail at some point due to various reasons, get upset, go and commit suicide too. The peer pressure we talk about, is all created by the human mind and really comes due to one's own expectations and failures than what the term literally means.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    peer pressure need not necessarily make you take a wrong decision or have a negative impact on you.
    it depends on two things:
    1) kind of people (peers) we are dealing with
    2) how you can handle a situation.

if the friends or peers are not exactly the ideal kind of people to hang out with then comes a 50% chance of treading down the wrong path.

but then if you can handle the quirkiest of situations with consummate ease and have a real grip on your wishes, that will surely cancel out that 50% chance of mistake.

so at the end of the day it is the person who is to be blamed for a wrong choice or spoilt life, not his peers... anyway it is he who chooses them! ๐Ÿ˜€
    CT, what if the peers pressurize??? That's where the problem comes... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    exactly... you were the person who chose such peers... your (not yours ๐Ÿ˜€ the person's ) first mistake... he should have tried to move away from them, if he hasn't... his second mistake... or if you chose to stick alongside them even after the realisation, you must have the strength to stick to your principles and choices, else... your third mistake and mkore are sure to follow ๐Ÿ˜‰ what say?
    Who am I? Who is he? ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah yeah, I get it... Right, but people are there... ๐Ÿ˜
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    praveenscience
    Who am I? Who is he? ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah yeah, I get it... Right, but people are there... ๐Ÿ˜
    you are praveen and "he" is the person who blames it all on peers... ๐Ÿ˜€

yes there are indeed people like that
    Rightly said... Thank you CT! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sanket1729
    sanket1729
    Unless a person has a good will power much of his life is dictated by peer pressure. So in case his/her peer circle has all the good habits he/she benefited by peer pressure,else peer pressure is bad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am having trouble finding the oxidation state of some compounds namely Ni(CO)4 & Na3Fe(CN)5NO please help
plz help me in my final year project is handover in 3G simulation using matalb ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”
Hi, im gautam, a computer science engineer from visakhapatnam, currently working in UAE as an automation engineer working with PLCs. Iam crazy about technology and engineering that has brought me...
i m a Mechanical Engineer and interested in developing and creating new equipments and machines, i would love to working at a place where i would be required to study...
Can anyone explain the difference between Front End Engineering Design (FEED) and fabrication/construction in oil and gas sector? And also, what do Front End Engineering actually do? Thanks.