Peeking into the chaos

Prelude: The monkey
Like all introductions, let me start this one with a (very) brief talk on myself. I'm Amit and right now I'm doing my M.Tech in VLSI and Embedded systems at Bangalore, India. My specialization in B.E was electronics and communication. I have a wide variance in interests, from ant farms to cooking, lazy sleeping to TKD, operating systems to fiddling around with electronic circuits, MBTI and a bunch of other things.

Now for the little adventure that brought me ... here!

Act I : The start
It all began with my realization of the ignorance I had about the state of industries in my field of study. Apart from what everyone tells me, I hadn't done much exploration on my own... as for the trigger, I think I'll skip that part. So, as a part of my searching I approach guru Google and realized that many of the views I had on the IT companies here were shared by many.

The trouble is that you don't know what kind of work you'd be given after joining a corporation, the job you'd be going would have very little relation to anything you'd done/studied/banged-you-head-to-the-book for and this is accepted as a norm by everyone I know. Most of these companies seem to hire really good people to do really monotonic work.... that was mostly about the IT companies that I certainly don't want to be a part of.

Act II : The focus
My interest has always been to fiddle/break/repair/reconstruct things (started all the way back when I only had... toys XD), that was the whole reason I chose this field BUT I'm ignorant in what exactly the companies of this field do and expect from a hire. Where I must focus my energies at? in addition to the academics, taking time into consideration of course.

So, long story short, I think this place is my first step into enlightening myself of ... the ways of those in my field. Hopefully I'd would help me make an informed decision on current study and future jobs, one where I can apply myself and be happy.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to Chit-Chat section.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CE, I hope u will actively participate here to gain and share knowledge πŸ˜€
  • YepSailOn
    YepSailOn
    Hello #-Link-Snipped-#, I'll try my best to actively contribute to this community and hopefully gain some knowledge along the way. I've been trying my best to learn much about how things are in the outside world, where/how we can apply what we learn in our course etc..... Thanks for the warm welcome πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I should stop moving threads based on the title πŸ˜‰ . I thought the discussion is about the chaos theory 😨.

You're trying to base your decisions on assumptions. Making a career in the domain in which you are interested in is the sure-shot success of satisfaction and success. But that happens when you've a clearly defined goal and have chosen your paths accordingly.

If you've interested in various things - you might want to find a job in the domain in which you are educated - which is E&TC. Try seeking information on the companies that might offer the job you're looking for; you can always find one.
  • YepSailOn
    YepSailOn
    hehe, it was entirely my fault for misdirecting you that way, I guess I was a bit too cheeky with the title😘 I thought you moved it as it felt a bit too lighthearted and was on the process of writing a more formal introduction based on your template.

I agree wholeheartedly on what you've said and it's precisely that which made me search for information. I'm interested in analog electronics, I've made a bunch of things for my own use like switched mode power supplies, delta-V rapid battery charger (based on the battery manufacturers datasheet) but afaik the trend is towards digital circuits. I've heard that analog design jobs are pretty rare. The next best thing I like are microcontrollers, you can do so much with them! I'm also pretty much a decent programmer (a self taught one) and finally digital electronics, all the CMOS design stuff.... the only reason I like it the least is because everything is 'simulated', I can only design them on a computer and see a bunch of waveforms... Unlike the first two where I can actually observe an actual circuit. I hate theory and I love the labs.

Now, the trouble is finding a company that works in the field I'm interested in, hopefully the information I gain over here would be quite useful πŸ˜€ .. hmm, before I can make a solid set of goals, I should get some really accurate information first. Right now, I'm trying to do that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Every computer geek know about the compiler. Compiler is a program which convert high level language code into machine code..There is front end and back end in compiler. Front...
GlobalLogic Noida is hiring Freshers - BE & Btech (CS/IT/ECE/Electrical) passouts of 2012 & 2013 with an aggregate of 60% and above throughout academics may apply. Students with backlog in...
With the arrival of mobile phones, a lot of traditional gadgets have been replaced. I'm curious to know how many of crazy engineers use wrist watch and why do you...
Someone asked a related question to me and I thought of getting a frank opinion from all of you. A lot of members post their questions - sometimes quite important...
Question: Accenter Industries Limited (AIL) uses high grade odum and sapele wood to produce chairs, tables and cupboards for schools. The target for the company is to produce at least...