Peeking Into Schrodinger's Box Easily Reveals Quantum State Measure - Cat Dead or Alive?

Schrodingers_cat
Want to know whether the cat is dead Or alive? Just peek into the goddamn Schrodinger's box you. University of Rochester scientists have devised a novel method wherein you can measure Quantum state pretty easy. This single-experiment measurement process to multidimensional quantum states is called direct measurement, and is way faster than the traditional technique. Earlier, to measure a 27-dimension quantum state, you needed to employ a costly, highly time-consuming multi-stage procedure called quantum tomography, which was like creating a 3D image using several 2D images. Robert Boyd, Professor of Optics and Physics at the University of Rochester and Canada Excellence Research Chair in Quantum Nonlinear Optics at the University of Ottawa stated- "Our work shows that direct measurement offers an exciting alternative to quantum tomography."

Direct measurement prides its genius in its two-stage measuring process. Generally, measuring a quantum state alters it irreversibly. For the first stage, also called the 'weak' stage, these researchers measure the stage so gently that the system changes just slightly and doesn't case a collapse in the wave function. As this remains as it is, it allows for a 'strong' measurement of the other variable.

Lead author Dr. Mehul Malik said-

It is sort of like peeking into the box to see if Schrödinger’s cat is alive, without fully opening the box. The weak measurement is essentially a bad measurement, which leaves you mostly uncertain about whether the cat is alive or dead. It does, however, give partial information on the health of the cat, which when repeated many times can lead to near certain information as to whether the cat is alive or dead.
To the uninitiated, Schrödinger’s Cat is a thought experiment (also referred to as a paradox) presented by Schrödinger in 1935. It illustrates what he thought of as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to daily objects. The scene presents a cat who could be dead or alive in a box, depending on an earlier random event. You may check out this animated video to understand the paradox better-

Replies

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Some other thought experiments you might want to check: Six Famous Thought Experiments {Animated Videos}
  • kirk czuhai
    kirk czuhai
    i think cats kill way to many nice birds that not only sing and are pretty but eat a lot of insect pests. so i hope the damn cat is dead and just as soon think that it is. i am not going to sit up all night worrying about it or get waked up in the middle of the night just because the male cat, i read somewhere, and seem to have heard about it once or twice, at night, has hooks on its penis!!!!!!!
  • Mark Darius
    Mark Darius
    kirk czuhai
    i think cats kill way to many nice birds that not only sing and are pretty but eat a lot of insect pests. so i hope the damn cat is dead and just as soon think that it is. i am not going to sit up all night worrying about it or get waked up in the middle of the night just because the male cat, i read somewhere, and seem to have heard about it once or twice, at night, has hooks on its penis!!!!!!!
    You seem to have missed the point of the article. Weak measurement involves a helium - neon laser measuring the angular momentum of a photon (and, depending on the chirality of polarization) the orbital angular momentum is determined by the optical vortex which can carry quantized angular momentum which is what gets measured as it's "untwisted."
    The work seems to build on Matula's at the U. of Heidelberg on how "twisted" light beams can influence electrons inside hydrogen atoms via the beam's orbital angular momentum.

I don't recall a mention of hooks on the feline phallus or dead birds being a factor.

"Qubits" do sound like a good cat food for an indeterminate superpositioned pussy though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How about having a transparent display on the windshield of your car that displays the desired information while you driving? Sounds interesting. Researchers from various strata have been working on...
Management and whosoever it may concern...I need a siminar on the above (investigation and analysis of subsoil), Before end of this month 31/01/2014 Contact:Odohskido@gmail.com
Found the below website very useful. One can read discussions, blogs, product launch news, etc related to automation and control . https://www.controlglobal.com/ Check out their current issue: https://www.controlglobal.com/assets/digital_edition/2014/january.pdf Happy reading...
Mozilla Firefox is literally on fire when it comes to its operating system. Mozilla's new Firefox OS Tablet has been making rounds of the global technology headlines ever since the...
E-Whiskers or Electronic whiskers developed by researchers from the Berkeley Lab and the University of California Berkeley are next in line to make robots smarter. Taking a step ahead in...