PC with 2 NICs

give a thought to this
everyone is aware that to have interconnectivty between two computers, the computers are fitted with NICs (network interface cards). Each NIC has a physical burnt in address called a physical address or a MAC address .
Had it ever occured how will a computer behave if it is fitted with 2 NICs?? Will it then end up behaving as a router?
This is not uncommon

Replies

• KenJackson
    KenJackson
    It did occur to me. In fact, I used to have two NICs in my PC. For a while I had that setup both at work and at home. In each case, one NIC connected to the ISP and one connected to the internal network. My PC acted as a router between the two because I enabled routing, and it did network address translation (NAT). The routing table decided which network an outgoing packet would go on.

Oh. I was using Linux.

I guess you could do that with Windows, but you would be foolish to expose a Windows PC to the internet.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    right, and as usual they have pegged a term for this one as multi-homing(if i got it right). Its different from Ip aliasing (2 IP addresses to same NIC).Best example of multihoming would be having 2 ISP provide internet connectivity while one acts as a back up of another( this is to a router though). While we are discussing about it , the two NICs could be or not on same network and as far as internet connectivity is concerned, the NIC IP connecting the internal LAN though would be def gateway for the hosts on LAN, the computer(router) will be forwarding all the unknown destination packets to the NIC connecting the ISP(after NATting).

while I had Vista on, ther was this feature called internet connection sharing which is very similar to what we are discussing. Here :
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I got a Calsoft placement paper for reference. Please check it out in attached PDF.Calsoft Placement Paper
Hey Guys ! Quite a few people here have shared their experiences about the revised GRE pattern. Having appeared for the test, can they also share their knowledge about their...
hi, we have this project and we already have a code and the circuit but it is not working.. it's supposed to display the hours and minutes the problems are:...
These guides from GlobalSpecs are not advertisements for any specific product. They give helpful technical info, which will help engineers select appropriate products. CR4 - Blog: How to Select Industrial...
Salary Under HSE’s current pay arrangements, subject to an effective level of performance, staff progress annually towards the maximum of their pay scale. The maximum of the pay range for...