PC shutting down abruptly.

Since a few days my PC is running very slow. The windows (Xp) restarts abruptly when I run heavy applications. I scanned the whole HDD with updated anti virus but no viruses were found.

Is there any problem with the hardware?

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Look at the task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and look if the computer is constantly running at 100% CPU usage (it says at the bottom what % is being used).

If it is at 100% and stays there without fluctuating, then try looking in the processes tab to see what is using up so much of the CPU. It may be a program that is running improperly, or it may be a virus.

If your C: drive is the system one, free more space on it. And defragment all drives

Check for unused or unrequired applications and remove them if you don't need them.

Cleanup your drive - right click on the drive - select properties - select cleanup drive.

Try these options, maybe they help you
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    The CPU usage is not 100 %, its normal.

Does Win XP restarts if it is overloaded?

Sometimes, when the OS is booting my computer automatically restarts (or keeps restarting).
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    check userinit.exe or something like this file in system32
    is it there?
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    goyal420
    check userinit.exe or something like this file in system32
    is it there?
    Yes, 'userinit.exe' is present in the system32 directory.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Change the virtual memory settings My Computer ----> Properties ----->Advanced ------> Performance -------> Advanced ---------> Virtual Memory
    For paging file size, select custom file size , with initial size 500 MB and final size 1000 MB. Save the settings. You can increase the paging file size further according to the software programs you use.
    I hope it will help you
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    No effect even after increasing the page file size.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    which application ur using and also tell me the configuration of ur pc
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    The only memory consuming application on my PC is Norton Antivirus.

Configuration:

Processor - Intel Pentium Dual core CPU E5300 2.60 GHz
    Ram - 1 GB DDR2
    Motherboard - Intel DG41RQ (Intel G41 express chipset).
  • chalu
    chalu
    check ur ram.shutting down problems occurs if ram is not inserted properly.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    which version of norton antivirus ur using use 2009 gaming edition or try eset smart security its good and light weight
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    after reading all above comments i will suggest Chalu's idea.To explain it on a larger scale ,i would say,RAM problem insist Physical Dump Memory & related errors to generate which in turn leads to restart of OS & Blue screens etc.
    How to Solve:
    Open OS...go to Run..type CHKDSK & let it complete .On completion ,go to task manager & check proceeses running & CPU load...if problem still persists re install RAM after cleaning etc or try to reinstall XP or repair same through DISK option
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    I think that there is something wrong with the RAM as it is of local brand. I'll get it checked.
  • ONKSSSSS
    ONKSSSSS
    Well I think Check your heat sink. Even if the RAM (or any other part) is overheated then it might lead to shutdown abruptly. Cleanup Mechanical parts ( Fan ,SMPS, ac adapter etc).
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    ONKSSSSS
    Well I think Check your heat sink. Even if the RAM (or any other part) is overheated then it might lead to shutdown abruptly. Cleanup Mechanical parts ( Fan ,SMPS, ac adapter etc).
    Thanks for your suggestion, onkss
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    Keep the cabinet open for sometime. If that stops the problem then you need a better cooling solution.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Guttu
    Keep the cabinet open for sometime. If that stops the problem then you need a better cooling solution.
    I'll try your suggestion first.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi all i wanna help in kalman filter i google it and read some good ppt but i think my prob. here based on statistical calculation it it if any...
Hi everybody😕 Can anybody suggest me a complete guide which also works as a ready reckoner for pump selection & design. If anybody has details of bottle filling machines,its types...
The company that is to be credited for this is Weta Digital located in Wellington, New Zealand The visual effects department at Weta comprises of some major processing power consisting...
You’ve probably noticed it if you have visited Google.com over the past few days: A multi-stage artwork depicts holiday postcards piling atop the Google logo with each passing day. Each...
1)The smallest number which when diminished by 3 is divisible by 21,28,36 and 45 is... (i) 869 (ii) 859 (iii) 4320 (iv) 427 2) Gold is 19 times as heavy...