PC power supply repair

Hi

I got about 20 broken PC power supplies for Rupees 65 each and I want to fix one for the 12V supply to some PC fans.
There are three transformers on board of most and I guessed this is 5V, 3.5V and 12V. Then there is a whole bunch of caps, diodes and stuff and I don't know what that is for....
Can someone please tell me what to do to build one power supply using parts scavenged from this lot? I would appreciate a diagram of sorts. It would be nice if I could get all 3 voltages working so that it can be donated to schools for their electronics classes
Thanks fellas (and girls)

V

Replies

• bobby@satya
    bobby@satya
    hai voltaire these is bobby from india i can help u to repair the smps first get a multimetre . 1) keep multimetre in 20v dc section 2) attach a power cable 2 ur smps 3) attach black probe of multimetre to smps black cable and red cable in green cable if u see 5v or approximately 5v means the problem is in ur smps secondary section ur smps is divided in 2 primary and secondary section if there is no 5v means the problem is in ur primary .if there is no 5v means the problem is in secondary .please go for physical observation i will send some clipping 2 u also tell me whn you will be free we can chat my gmail id isi will available from 1300hrs to 1700hrs send me ur id also.

@Bobby@Satya:: Its not good to share email id on open forum, it just attracts spammers!
    Moreover, we recommend all the discussions on CE such that everyone will be aware and will be giving required inputs!
    Please take this positively! -- MOD!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please suggest me some topics for electrical engineering final year projects related to power systems
I have chosen a FYP where I have to create a interactive tutorial system to teach Database + SQL for 2ND Year students who will be doing Database and this...
We have a fairly large number of engineers on CE and here's a little survey I wish to do. I want to know how many of you (students & professionals)...
During my recent conversation with an engineering college student, I came to know that the college was so bullish on getting 100% results from the students in University exams that...
Folks, I need your recommendations. I'm planning to gift a Blackberry or similar phone to my father on his Birthday. Following are typical requirements - 1. Bigger screen & text...