Pay Using PayPal app and your Profile Pic !

There is no stoppage of the evolving payment systems.
Just imagine that you are going out for shopping and soon after choosing your things at billing counter you realise that you have forgot you wallet at home. Now what to do?

You need not to worry if you are in Richmond. 14 Retailers have now agreed to take the payments from new PayPal app that just requires PayPal App and your profile pic.

Pay Pal has released the app for iOS, Windows and Android phones. PayPal app will highlight the nearest retailer where the payment is accepted, customer needs to verify that by clicking on the required retailer and sliding an animated pin down on their screen. The customer's name and photo then appears on the shop's payment system and the retailer charges them by clicking on their image. The customer then receives an alert on their phone to let them know how much they have paid as well as PayPal's usual email receipt.

Done ! Isn't it very easy?

Per PayPal currently, only 12 merchants are using the system. Company is expecting that over 2,000 locations will have the ability to use the app by the end of 2013.

What do you think, is it risky? Do you think it will be successful?
Given a chance would you like to make payment using the app and your profile pic?

Source - #-Link-Snipped-#

-CB

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I would be happy if paypal introduces this scheme for Indian Market.This would be a safer way of carrying money wherever we want and be safe from theft.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The idea looks quite interesting. But what about security? To the best of my knowledge the facial recognition software doesn't work with 100% accuracy. So using it for payments could be dangerous. I think Face will just act as an additional security check over the PayPal credentials.

That may mean you can't change your hair-style 😉
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I dont think it works on facial recognition but more of a profile pic. Like in a passport. The merchant will verify its customer. And I think it then asks for a confirmation text from the customer also. this way it gets completely verified. From security point of view, It will be equal to carrying a wallet. You drop it and game over. Program Security will be excellent, what depends on is the smartness of the user.

Plus this feature can easily be introduced for India too. The potential merchants can be shopping malls or marts like Reliance or Big Bazaar etc. This will actually help a lot in overall development. I wish it would come true for us too.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Nayan Goenka
    From security point of view, It will be equal to carrying a wallet. You drop it and game over. Program Security will be excellent, what depends on is the smartness of the user.

A little more than than, probably !
    Along with the security Pin, Retailer has the chance to verify your identity using your profile pic as well, right?

-CB
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    crazyboy
    A little more than than, probably !
    Along with the security Pin, Retailer has the chance to verify your identity using your profile pic as well, right?

-CB

Yea they do. But still anyone else got hold of your phone or login credentials then its complete disaster. It wouldnt take much to steal your money. I heard a friend of mine working in an IT company saying that they were working on a similar concept to be launched in India. You can say a complete online Bank or Advanced and Integrated eWallet. It is expected to be launched next year. It works completely like a bank. They have backing of some Bank also I guess.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Facial image processing is one tech Which is yet to be rolled out in a larger scale

In this scenario going for validation of face I am pessimistic about this
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Facial image processing is one tech Which is yet to be rolled out in a larger scale

In this scenario going for validation of face I am pessimistic about this

Its not facial recognition in paypal app. While you setup, it asks for a pic of yours. Then when you try to use that, the merchant where you will be paying gets your registered pic FROM Paypal to verify if its really you. Its not automatic recognition. Its manual
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Manually doing this there are other ids which we always have with us there is always a need of personal info from your end to meet the demand of security will there be a solution to this without taking photos again ??
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You cannot skip that. Also paypal is a big giant handling Billions of $ daily. It would prefer to have its own id verification technique rather than trusting government issues id proofs. It may be applicable in countries like USA, but when it comes to India, Paypal isnt stupid. Documents are forged easily here.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Guys, Here is a task for you to go crazy and think out of the box. This involves research and looking into your favourite components and design ONE LAPTOP....
Are you using Chrome Password Manager? If the answer is 'Yes', do you know that that anyone who has access to your machine can view the passwords you have saved...
NASA says that they're planning to send a robot to Jupiter's Moon called Europa. The photos clicked by Voyager 2 spaceship have given the scientists a 'clear' idea that there's...
We all know that the cloud computing is the next big thing! There are many things that are easier to do in the cloud, but do you think managing the...
Please be patient with this stupid idea.I always wonder about the structures,buildings and science behind it But I want to know how much water get wasted in a restrooms due...