Password security - How to make a secure password for dummies like me

People, who are otherwise quite savvy fail to make secure pass words. When they do, they cannot remember them. After my Hotmail ID (used for technical activities) was hacked, I created a fancy password that even a super computer would be hard put to break. Promptly forgot it in about 24 hours.

Here are some tips on a better way to go about it.
This is for dummies like me.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Recently I read in newspaper that most common password is "password".
    And people are still using "1234567" as password.
    This survey was done after 12 months of high profile hacks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's actually very easy to create a very secure password that's very easy to remember. But I'm not letting the secret out 👀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    It's actually very easy to create a very secure password that's very easy to remember. But I'm not letting the secret out 👀
    That is something I worked out too. I am keeping quiet too.
    Shhhh...Mum is the word
  • manishks
    manishks
    Post removed
  • ONKSSSSS
    ONKSSSSS
    Please see this quite funny presentation that I gave in my Engineering Years 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nice one #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    Just for better understanding!
    Having a complicated password or secure password can act as deterrent at an instance. It does not however provide you sufficient security. Reason is, popular web site passwords are not broken with the help of dictionary or brute force based password attack. It is broken with other ways such as session hijacking, keyloggers, phishing,sniffing, MITM etc.....
    Hence one must be careful what he runs/executes on his computer, which sites he opens and any links that he clicks.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There is a theory that a Mars sized proto planet rammed the Earth and created the moon to tango with the earth. They say it takes two to tango. So...
Looks as though the last particle of Physics has been found. The excitement in July about finding the elusive Higgs Boson may have witnessed the last fundamental particle physics discovery...
Here is a simple gadget for giving intravenous medication reliably in remote places.
A video view of the hurricane Sandy as seen from the International Space Station: https://gizmodo.com/5955013/spectacular-video-hurricane-sandy-from-the-international-space-station
Apple has come up with a tapioca based soluble packaging. So long as the iPod itself does not follow suit, it should be good. https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/ipod-packaging-dissolves-water.html