Passing Mathematics Courses

I am currently an engineering major just starting out. Although I know I am where I am supposed to be, I am still struggling in mathematics. Mostly in Trigonometry; I cannot seem to grasp the concept. I have turned to tutors, videos, books, and I am beginning to feel discouraged. Should I reconsider my major or am I just overthinking?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd say overthinking. Is there any specific part in Trigonometry that you find challenging?

PS: When I look at my old engineering math books now, all the 'impossible to understand' topics look super easy.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Trigonometry is a bit ‘tricky’nometry.
    In 1956, our text book was the then gold standard ‘Plane Trignometry’ by S.L.Loney. I found it very good. It is available for free download from archives here. Worth looking at.
    Plane trigonometry : Loney, S. L. (Sidney Luxton), 1860-1939 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This book below will get you off the discouragement. The author hated maths. She became a professor of Maths later.
    A Mind for Numbers: ‘How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)’ by Barbara Oakley.

I got it for my grand daughter, who has a similar dislike of maths. It is a great book. We play at maths. I pretend to be a duck,who is great at maths, and squawk about how good I was. Then I make silly mistakes. Tara (my granddaughter) will whack me on the head saying ‘grampa, you know nothing. This is how it is’. (I am only 68 years older than her.) But she remembers what it was that we were discussing in algebra that was troubling her.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thumbs up for S.L. Loney! 😀
  • Madison Lawson
    Madison Lawson
    Thank you both for the encouragement. I am mainly struggling with proofs in my class. I will definitely look into your suggestions!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote:Thanks to Colaboratory – a new open-source project from Google – engineers, researchers, and makers can now build and run machine learning applications on a simple single-board computer. Google has...
Hi buddies, Really I don't know about loop impedance. And can I have calculation of loop impedance?
Video of the week: BionicWheelBot
Online harassment has been on the board since its inception with the social media explosion. Thoughts then chose a different way to get expressed and the virtual world became a...
Collaboration tools for content creators like digital broadcasters, live streamers and podcast creators usually tend to be third party alternatives. This means if they use Skype for collaboration they are...