Parallel and Live code editor

I'm planning to make a code editor, as part of my academic project. It uses a web interface that displays to the other team members what i'm coding(lively). It will also permit each collaborator to write a module, so that the programming task of assembling the code, aswell as time required is reduced to a large extend.
The main feature is, I can see what my friend is coding, and he can see what i'm coding, so that we can edit or suggest what to be edited in each others code segment. I wish to know whether it is doable? If yes what are the main difficulties/hurdles to overcome?
Thanks for the replies in advance

Replies

• simplycoder
    simplycoder
    siraj.mussafirr
    I'm planning to make a code editor, as part of my academic project. It uses a web interface that displays to the other team members what i'm coding(lively). It will also permit each collaborator to write a module, so that the programming task of assembling the code, aswell as time required is reduced to a large extend.
    The main feature is, I can see what my friend is coding, and he can see what i'm coding, so that we can edit or suggest what to be edited in each others code segment. I wish to know whether it is doable? If yes what are the main difficulties/hurdles to overcome?
    Thanks for the replies in advance
    You have to work out a save method that will save current fiile after every character entered, but it will lead to lot of chaos when more people would work.
    Thing is we should ideally always lock the file so seeing other person code is fine but coding in the same file is bad, a crime.

If you can work out save, rest is, develop a website simple, then you can write a windows service or equivalent to receive the content of the file.

Some thing like..

User Enter a character --->Auto Save--->WCF Windows Service picks up the file ----> Displays it on the webpage.

You can schedule windows service with a minimum delay.

The disadvantage of this method is, service would hit the server continuously every time for all the pages and all the members.
  • siraj.mussafirr
    siraj.mussafirr
    simplycoder
    You have to work out a save method that will save current fiile after every character entered, but it will lead to lot of chaos when more people would work.
    Thing is we should ideally always lock the file so seeing other person code is fine but coding in the same file is bad, a crime.

If you can work out save, rest is, develop a website simple, then you can write a windows service or equivalent to receive the content of the file.

Some thing like..

User Enter a character --->Auto Save--->WCF Windows Service picks up the file ----> Displays it on the webpage.

You can schedule windows service with a minimum delay.

The disadvantage of this method is, service would hit the server continuously every time for all the pages and all the members.
    I found some similar resources, i'd like to share here.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    google Docs is also a collaborative text editor. so I dont feel a crime there
    thank you simplycoder for your help. but saving creates too much overhead to the server. need to fnd some other better methods

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am piyush, final year student of computer engineering from pune university, India. Yet I am not placed in any company 😭 . I am confused about what to do...
hello, how are u all? I'm ur new friend. I would like to know about the problems of electrical and electronic engineering.
what is the difference between electrical and electronic?
can any one please suggest me, what are the advanced technologies in formula1 cars...or any concept that relating formula1 cars plz suggest me for my ppt......
Well, Writing Entire Thread on New Upcoming Technology or Newly Released Research/Technologies is demotivating when you write every possible detail you get for the topic & No one really gives...